turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Chapina43

State Return Help

Why in the HELL did i just pay $45 to learn that my state refund is $10. Why isn't this shown up front. 

Further more why was i only told AFTER i purchased that E-File isn't available in New York. 

Why the hell are there so many shady moves like this in such a large program, i understand a company needs to make money but you took this to a whole new extreme level of Bulll**bleep**

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

State Return Help

Why won't it let you efile NY? In fact in the Desktop CD/Download program NY is free to efile.  You have to pay to efile other states.   But you can only efile state if Federal was first efiled and accepted.

Better call in and see what's going on.  Contact Customer Service
5am-9pm Pacific Time Monday - Sunday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Chapina43

State Return Help

according to the gentleman I am talking to on the phone, New York City is free but the state of New York is not.

edit: his name is Robby from turbo tax

edit 2: New York state is free. I don't think Robby really knows what he is talking about. We got to the final page right before filing and it states that it is free, but yet i was charge $48.59. Robby is helping me out a lot so i guess i cant complain too much

State Return Help

@xmasbaby0  can you ask the mod to check?

State Return Help

@VolvoGirl Posted it to the Mods...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

State Return Help

@Chapina43  What version are you using?  Did you already do a state return for a different state?  That amount sounds like the charge to buy another state Program for a different state.  Not to efile the return.

You get one free state PROGRAM download to prepare unlimited state returns. Then each state return (including the first one) is 19.99 to efile, usually goes up to 24.99 March 1. Or you can print and mail state for free.  Except New York is free to efile.  Then if you need to file in a different state you have to buy another state Program for $44.99.

State Return Help

Oh I see you have the Basic program?  Sorry Basic does not have the one free state program download.  You have to buy the State program.  But then there is no fee to efile New York.  For other state you have to pay another 24.99 to efile state.  So it would be 44.99+24.99!

You needed to buy Deluxe or higher to get a free state program download.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies