Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is the personal identification verification portion of the Alabama e-file process not functioning properly?

Using TTD4W, I am able to submit a joint federal and Missouri state e-file successfully if I post them separately from Alabama.  I am unable to transmit my e-file online for Alabama because the same information provided for federal and Missouri e-file identity verification (state driver's licenses) does not work for Alabama.  I have double and triple-checked my and my wife's identification details, and they are accurate.  Furthermore, both my federal and Missouri state filings have been accepted, telling me the identification information I provided is accurate.  The error message provided by the form only states that I must provide a form of identification. (This error message vanished upon provided details for both federal and Missouri e-file submissions.)   The form appears to fail to recognize that I have provided this information for both myself and my wife.  Upon selecting Continue at the bottom of the form, I am taken to the Exit TurboTax window and never provided the option to transmit the Alabama e-file.  This appears to be an Alabama software module issue.  Are other Alabamians experiencing this? (BTW, this post incorrectly reflects "TurboTax Online" when all fields were properly chosen to reflect TurboTax Deluxe for Windows.)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why is the personal identification verification portion of the Alabama e-file process not functioning properly?

Hello Amy,

I was able to resolve the issue and e-file my Alabama taxes online.  The problem was corrupted software.

Here's how it unfolded and became resolved:

• Around two weeks ago (mid-March), TT pushed out an update.  The update install failed (many updates before it installed just fine).  This left my copy of TTD4W useless; the software got stuck in an endless update loop.
  • Uninstalling TTD4W then failed when attempted, leaving me with no working copy of TTD4W.
  • Research revealed a suggestion from a TT community user to use the download installer to attempt a re-install over itself.  This worked and got me back up and running but orphaned my Missouri add-on state purchase (Alabama was my "free" state selection).
  • Research revealed a utility offered by TT to "clean installed state modules."  I downloaded and ran this to uninstall Missouri.  On the next TTD4W startup, the software correctly reinstalled Missouri.
  • At e-file time, I was prompted for my driver's license or state ID information (same for my wife).  This was provided.  TTD4W would not transmit any tax return (federal, Missouri or Alabama).
  • I successfully transmitted federal and Missouri individually.  Alabama would not transmit and stayed stuck in a driver's license information input loop.
  • Using the TT state cleanup utility to remove Alabama failed to resolve this; the software did not actually remove Alabama (no automatic reinstall by the TTD4W software was attempted).
  • Using the Windows "App" management feature of Windows Settings, I was able to perform a "repair" of TTD4W.
  • TTD4W then performed an installation (re-installation) of Alabama state, which allowed me to submit my e-file return.

The root cause was the bad patch update push from TT back in March that initially corrupted my copy of TTD4W.

I hope this article is helpful to anyone who might encounter a similar situation.  Please take care and stay safe and healthy.

- Gary H (engineer by education and profession)

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Alabama is one of two states that require a valid photo ID to efile your return. 

A state driver's license should work -when valid. MO and Federal do not have the same rigorous standards so something is amiss with your input or license.

Please review your entries as AL verifies before accepting.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Amy, thank you for the quick response!  Like I said, I've triple-checked my and my wife's driver's license when inputting our data.  I've had no issues e-filing with Alabama in the past.  Recently, however, we both did relocate and had our licenses updated as well (back in November and December).  I wonder if something is amiss between the physical licenses we hold and the Alabama DL database.  I did find it odd that Alabama does not update the expiration date of a license upon a license change.  I've also heard that Alabama now features a 10-digit license number format; my license and my wife's license continue to use the 9-digit format.  Could TT be expecting a 10-digit number?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The database not being updated with the recent change is a high possibility as all government offices are behind. A different format could also have an effect. I am not an employee of AL so I can't be sure. I would think that the old format would be fine until everyone is updated.

I wonder if adding a zero in front would create the 10 digits needed. You can try it. If it doesn't work, blame the database.

It may be worth contacting the state to find out about the database and license format. See Contact Us.

Amy,

Using a 10-digit format did not make a difference.  The TurboTax input screen / form appears to not recognize the information I am providing.  Clicking on Continue returns no error value or error message, indicating that the software may be malfunctioning.  I would fully expect that a number or other entry provided in the wrong format would be flagged by the software with an error message.  I receive none, and the software does not give me the option to transmit the return.  I don't believe the AL database is at fault since the software doesn't even attempt to communicate with the AL server.  I will uninstall and reinstall the Alabama state software module.  If this resolves the issue, I will post an update.

I appreciate any additional guidance you can provide in the meantime.

Gary

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Gary, you are the only person I am seeing with this issue. I checked investigations to see if anyone had reported an issue.  You can fill this form out for someone to call you. Maybe another set of eyes and they can start an investigation, if needed. I am sorry you are having such a problem.

Maybe try the steps for stuck data while at it.

1. Delete the form:
    1. How to Delete 
    2. Log out of your return
    3. Try one or more of the following:
      • Don't use Internet Explorer.
      • Clear cache and cookies,
      • Sign in using a different browser.
      • Sign in using a different device.
    4. Log back into your return.
    5. Enter the form again.

Good luck and do let us know!

Hello Amy,

I was able to resolve the issue and e-file my Alabama taxes online.  The problem was corrupted software.

Here's how it unfolded and became resolved:

• Around two weeks ago (mid-March), TT pushed out an update.  The update install failed (many updates before it installed just fine).  This left my copy of TTD4W useless; the software got stuck in an endless update loop.
  • Uninstalling TTD4W then failed when attempted, leaving me with no working copy of TTD4W.
  • Research revealed a suggestion from a TT community user to use the download installer to attempt a re-install over itself.  This worked and got me back up and running but orphaned my Missouri add-on state purchase (Alabama was my "free" state selection).
  • Research revealed a utility offered by TT to "clean installed state modules."  I downloaded and ran this to uninstall Missouri.  On the next TTD4W startup, the software correctly reinstalled Missouri.
  • At e-file time, I was prompted for my driver's license or state ID information (same for my wife).  This was provided.  TTD4W would not transmit any tax return (federal, Missouri or Alabama).
  • I successfully transmitted federal and Missouri individually.  Alabama would not transmit and stayed stuck in a driver's license information input loop.
  • Using the TT state cleanup utility to remove Alabama failed to resolve this; the software did not actually remove Alabama (no automatic reinstall by the TTD4W software was attempted).
  • Using the Windows "App" management feature of Windows Settings, I was able to perform a "repair" of TTD4W.
  • TTD4W then performed an installation (re-installation) of Alabama state, which allowed me to submit my e-file return.

The root cause was the bad patch update push from TT back in March that initially corrupted my copy of TTD4W.

I hope this article is helpful to anyone who might encounter a similar situation.  Please take care and stay safe and healthy.

- Gary H (engineer by education and profession)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies