Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

What is this Schedule UE, that I have that keeps popping up?

If you entered employee expenses, they would not be deducted on your Federal return (except for a few limited persons) but they could be deducted on your state return. 

"Schedule UE is a Pennsylvania form for Unreimbursed Employee Expenses.  Although this deduction is no longer allowed on the Federal return, if you have qualifying Employee expenses that are not reimbursed by your employer, you may claim these as a deduction in Pennsylvania.  Revisit the 2106 section of the Federal return to enter the expenses:

1. Enter 2106 in the Search box in the upper-right hand corner with the magnifying glass.
  2. Click the Jump to 2106 link."

Original answer

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
RodF
Level 1

First of all, Intuit, what the heck? This issue should have been caught during all the reviews, not right before we file and after we've paid the efile fee. Bad user experience UX engineering. Additionally, fix the phantom "Untitled" occupation associated with Form 2106. And PA - clean up your act to be more like other states tax returns.

That said, what worked for me using TT Home & Business desktop, is I scrolled to the top of the PA form UE and there is a check box that says something like, "Do not file Form UE." I put a check in that box. I clicked through the rest of the items TT wanted me to fill out on this form with no answers (well I had previously started to answer with my home zip and state as the employer if that matters when you do it) and it let me file the taxes. We'll see if PA throws a fit over it or not.

I went back to the federal return, searched for 2106, jumped to 2106, and also found what @HavingTheTimeOfMyLifeWithTaxes reported, an occupation titled "Untitled". I deleted that even though I had just already filed the federal.

Hope that works for you.

As of 03 February 2021 (for 2020 Tax Return), the problem with the PA Schedule UE still remains. Needed to go to the UE Schedule and mark the option (don't file Form UE). This action wasn't identified until the last step prior to transmitting the Federal and State Tax Returns, but once the modification was made, the tax files were accepted or at least forwarded.

I hope this works!  I am getting tired of having trouble with my state returns every year because of some type of Turbo Tax glitch

The TurboTax Federal return does not include Schedule UE; however, TurboTax seems to think that it does when it is preparing the PA state return.

Best Answer!!!

Actually the Fed Form 2106 is how the UE form is supposed to be generated.  I followed the advice to delete Form 2106 from the Fed Schedules and everything seemed to work; however, even though the Turbo Tax Fed and State reviews were ok, when I tried to e-file I was stopped.  I had to complete the required info on the UE form. Since no numbers were involved, I put in my name and address.

This whole mess could have been avoided if there was a way to to delete the UE form.  Although the Turbo Tax instructions said to click on Delete on the next page there was no Delete button to click. 

This is the third year I have had trouble finishing my PA tax return using Turbo Tax because of Turbo Tax issues.

I am beginning to think they really don't give a [removed] about state filing issues as long as they get their money.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you are using TurboTax Online, under Deductions & Credits, look for Job Expenses for W-2 Income (screenshot). 

On the next screen 'Review your job-related expenses info', use the trash can icon to delete (screenshot). 

Click this link for more info on Job Related Expenses.

karro

I was going through the same Schedule UE issue, and I too could not find the "delete" when going in to edit job expenses so what I did was I clicked on tax tools at the bottom of the black bar menu on the left side of my screen. I then clicked on  tools> delete form> scroll down a bit and click on schedule UE. hope this helps.

It remains even after it has been deleted

I have the same problem.  I am no willing to donate another $25.00 to Turbotax for a product that isn't working.  UGH

I too went back to the federal return and deleted form 2106, as my husband and I are both retired.   Schedule UE was deleted the work saved.  When I processed the review  schedule UE returned.  So I went bank into the federal and deleted the for 2106, deleted schedule UE from the PA forms, saved the work and shutdown the program.  When I attempted to file it again, the schedule UE had returned.  HELP!!!

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

TurboTax is bringing some information over to Schedule UE from federal if it is popping back up on your tax return. That should not happen if you deleted your Form 2106 information.

Did you put anything in federal under Teacher (Educator) Expenses?

Either way, go back to Schedule UE Summary. Edit your Copy. On the next screen check the box that says "Check this box if you do not want to include employee job expenses on this tax return."

I deleted the form in the Fed filing, I think 2016, logged out went back in and the form was deleted.  Went through the review and then the state. The state review indicated everything was okay. When I went to the filing PA Schedule UE showed up.  I put my name and address in the spaces and the filing went through.  I know this wasn't right but Turbo Tax was aware that this problem was occurring in PA for some time and did nothing about it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies