Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Level 1

Utah Tax Refund is Zero

No.  The zero refund for your Utah return is not showing because you had low income as the TT responder guesses. 

I just got  zero refund/ zero owed on my Utah return.  Do not trust it.  If you look at the Utah return in "print preview" it is blank.  It is not importing data from the federal return to the Utah return.  I checked back a few years of returns and though my tax situation is bare bones, dead simple I have never not owned something on state taxes.  Usually a small amount but always something. 

After wasting an hour on that exercise  I reopened Turbo Tax and the Utah return is now populated showing taxes due of $126.  Whether I trust it to have been done correctly and completely, I don't know. 

Unless I see a response from TT that sounds trustworthy I'm thinking of returning this &*^% to Target (hope I can do that with a download/online purchase) and trying some other software.  TT wasted alot of my time with no reasonable response to my request for an explanation. (Nor any other help to other Utahns on the same Utah form problems  going back a couple of weeks.)         

Utah Tax Refund is Zero

Mine did this as well.  I saved my return, closed the program, and opened it back up 5 seconds later and everything was OK.
As indicated above, it seems a lot of information that should populate from the federal side is not doing so initially.  But again...save, close, reopen.  30 seconds and everything was fine - at least in my case.  

lppeters
Returning Member

Utah Tax Refund is Zero

Mine originally showed refund of zero.  As suggested by some, I exited out of the program and reopened.  This time it repopulated the utah forms

Utah Tax Refund is Zero

I had the same issue.

I re-started the program before filing section. I, then went back through the Utah sections and it seems to have worked.

My advice is to download the Utah forms. Close the program then re-open it... That fixed it for me.

This helped fix the E-file problem when it said it would not do that. It also adjusted the estimated refund amount from 0 to a much higher number where I think it should be.... 

It seems the program did not correctly update the Utah forms when first downloaded them (did not carry over correct in fo from the Federal return). However for some reason after closing the program then reopening it, it seemed to fix it... 

Utah Tax Refund is Zero

All, once you enter all information into the Utah forms. Save the return and close the program. Then restart it, all the data will populate. The Federal and State do not communicate when completing the return?

Utah Tax Refund is Zero

We're also seeing this same issue.  State tax forms have NO information or values.  This doesn't seem cool at all.  Maybe it's time to look at some alternate tax preparation program.  I did work for H&R Block a while ago.  Might be time to head back....

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

Utah Tax Refund is Zero

For assistance troubleshooting state transfer errors, please click here. If additional assistance is needed,  please click here to get in contact with customer care

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JPS823

Utah Tax Refund is Zero

Definitely something wrong with Utah software. It does not compute Non Resident tax and does not apportion income. Please help.

Utah Tax Refund is Zero

Just helped my son complete his 2019 federal and Utah state tax returns using Quicken deluxe.  Ran in to the same problem!!  State tax refund showed zero!!  Luckily I googled the issue and got to this discussion thread on this site!!  We exited Turbotax and re-entered, and suddenly he got a large refund!!   Definitely buggy software.  I've used both Turbotax and Quicken for years - there have been persistent bugs throughout.  Wish there was a better alternative!!

Utah Tax Refund is Zero

There is definitely something wrong with the Utah return.  I had to manually override the entire return based on the contents of my federal return.  Might just as well have printed the forms and used a pen.  Very disappointed with the software.👎

jm99999

Utah Tax Refund is Zero

Mine too. Turbotax has this screwed up and I suppose there's no way to let them know so they can fix it. I downloaded the form from the State and filled it out in a few minutes.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Utah Tax Refund is Zero

I recommend calling us to request a soft push of the software for the federal and state.

Let the agent know you have been trying to update your software but the update is not loading.  They will be able to assist you.

Contact TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Utah Tax Refund is Zero

The Utah software is not pulling the federal over.  I checked the forms and there is nothing in them.  I tried to override and add the correct numbers and now it is griping.  Please fix the transfer from Federal to Utah State ASAP.

Utah Tax Refund is Zero

I have a Mac.  I filed mine for $0 and it was rejected.  I followed the TurboTax instructions, and now I can't even open the program.  I have the most expensive premier version.

Utah Tax Refund is Zero

Same exact problem here.  Same frustration too.  We purchased the Premier edition.  Still no help, no resolution and tons of frustration.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies