turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anubhav

TurboTax Premier: Do I get free state tax filing?

I was under the impression that one state tax return efiling was free with Turbotax Premier. Am I wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Are you using the Desktop program? You get one free state PROGRAM download to prepare unlimited state returns. Then each state return (including the first one) is 19.99 to efile, usually goes up to 24.99 March 1. Or you can print and mail state for free.  

Ecasingh

When I bought CD, it says one state tax filing is free . how I can get that

Ecasingh

How I can get free state filing with the turbo tax CD I have

@Ecasingh wrote:

When I bought CD, it says one state tax filing is free . how I can get that

No it did not say you receive one free state filing for free.  The box states explicitly -

Federal Returns  Federal E-File  State Returns 

Depending on the edition you purchased, it will have one Free State Program Download included in the purchase price.  There is a state tax return e-file charge of $24.99.  This charge can be avoided by printing and mailing the state tax return.

Includes 5 free federal e-files and one download of a TurboTax state product ($44.99 value) state e-file sold separately

jkeen75

Rip off. Turbotax needs to be honest that you don't really get a free state filing just the ability to print and mail forms which you can get on the state tax site. BE HONEST and tell everyone that it will cost $25 per state filing.

Very disappointed.  You sucked me in.  Shame on me.

I concur.  Last year they dropped support for Windows 7 and Apple High Sierra, now this year they decided to screw us out of free state tax filing (It was free for 5 STATE returns last year).  Not sure who is driving the intuit bus these days, but I for one am getting off at the next stop.

I will NOT be using this software next year. 

Very Dissatisfied 

Former Customer

Ted

@Theor27 There has always been a fee to e-file state returns using the CD/download.  That is not new.  The software that included state software for one state gave you the software to prepare state returns, but there has always been an extra fee to e-file the state.  You can avoid the state e-file fee if you print and mail the state.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies