turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax 2020 Bug? – Can't e-file my State taxes

I filed my Federal tax return and have already received my refund. Now I'm trying to file my State (Pennsylvania) return and TurboTax won't let me.  
• On the first File screen it says The Following Return has been transmitted: Federal Return 
• But when I click Continue the next screen says E-file requires Federal Return. To e-file you must also select the Federal return (but I filed my Federal return weeks ago). And I only get a Back button.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong or anything you can do to help? 

More detail: I usually get a refund from Federal and owe tax due to the State, so I file Federal first and use refund to pay the State later, that's why I don't e-file at the same time. I'm a happy TurboTax customer every year and have always done it this way, that's why I think there may be a bug in the software. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies

Seems to be a common issue. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with support yesterday and the final solution I got was “mail it in.” Swell.

OK thanks. I'll hang in there for a couple weeks and see if they fix it. 

March 13  -  i have exact same problem.I file the fed and get that same message when I try to file NY or NJ state. 

I tried tech support and they couldn't fix it.   They tried to bring in new state download and no luck.  I uninstalled my cd version  , and brought down the online version of Deluxe.  It  preserved the data, and yes, still have the same problem . Make sure you get printouts for mailing ,first before doing anything. I suspect I will be mailing 2 states soon. Haven't  done that in 15years or so.  I signed up for community feedback on this problem. 

Looks like all states have the same issue (I'm trying with Ohio).

As with others my federal return status says "Accepted", but I still cannot efile state.

Waiting weeks to get the product (Fed + State) is unacceptable, and mailing when efiling is advertised is unacceptable.

I'm having that problem too with Ohio. But I spent and was charged for e-filing, which I am not able to do.  How do I get a refund for the E-file since that couldn't go through? Thanks!

Same issue with California . . .

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please sign up here for updates to file your state return:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-return-after-...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Good news. Turbotax heard the pain and fixed the problem.  Fix is due by Mar 19.I saw it today Mar 18 and just loaded it.  It  got me past the error page to a normal page asking for driver lic info before the actual e-file of NY state. Almost mailed it!  Don't know about charges for efile costs not used.   

Problem  fixed .  I get past the error page saying I have to efile Fed which was already e-filed. Back to a normal prep page for efile of Ny state. Will complete that later.  thanks KatrinaLO. 

IWix
Level 3

Good Morning All -

I have the Desktop version.  Just by chance I decided to launch TT this morning and surprise - there were updates.  

I was able to successfully file my state return -

Hope the same is true for each of you.

I work in Information Tech in my company and as frustrating as it is, I am glad they were able to resolve the issue and get it promoted prior to their anticipated date, and prior to me needing to paper file.

Have a great day -

jdohrman
Returning Member

I am still facing this error (for CA). Using the online version. The links to follow the issue posted earlier in this thread give me an "access denied". Any updates on a fix for the online version?

turbo posted a fix a few weeks back that  i accessed via normal check for updates. I was able to get past the error that said I need to efile fed before i could efile NJ state.  i had done that and various parts of turbo clearly stated it at the time.  

I did get  help from turbo tech support,who at the time did not know it was a program bug.  they couldn't fix it by replacing state downloads .  enough people must have alerted turbo to find the bug. 

Not sure how wide spread the error was.  I did read various posts from ohio, penn ny, .  You would think the fix is nationwide. 

It says "access denied".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies