turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I report my co-op maintenance fees? Do all co-op management organizations have to send a form out to all residents with this information?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Tiki

How do I report my co-op maintenance fees? Do all co-op management organizations have to send a form out to all residents with this information?

If the property is your primary residence and not a rental property, payment of maintenance fees does not result in any deductions.  Maintenance fees are similar to paying utilities for a single family residence.  It is a personal expense and not deductible.

However, if you are billed interest on the co-op mortgage and real estate taxes, those items may be deductible. In Turbotax navigate to Federal TaxesDeductions & Credits, under Your Home click Start/Update next to "Property Taxes" and enter the other property box of the input screen.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Tiki

If the property is your primary residence and not a rental property, payment of maintenance fees does not result in any deductions.  Maintenance fees are similar to paying utilities for a single family residence.  It is a personal expense and not deductible.

However, if you are billed interest on the co-op mortgage and real estate taxes, those items may be deductible. In Turbotax navigate to Federal TaxesDeductions & Credits, under Your Home click Start/Update next to "Property Taxes" and enter the other property box of the input screen.

This is not accurate.  Co-op owners may deduct a portion of their maintenance fees as real estate taxes.  Each year, our management sends out a letter letting us know how to calculate how much we have paid in real estate taxes (how much of our maintenance fees are for real estate taxes).  This consists of multiplying the number of shares we own in the co-op by a number per share which management also has calculated.  This number (minus any rebates such as NYS star credit) is amount we may deduct for real estate taxes.
lomerchan

Hi @afranco297 - Hoping you can help me!

I received a 1098 for my co-op which lists my portion of mortgage interest ($388) and the RE taxes ($581). Should I still be entering another line item for the total of RE tax per share x my amount of shares.

14.25 x 240 shares = $3420

Would I add this amount to my deductions as well? Or am I duplicating the info incorrectly?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies