turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mheckel

I can't seem to file my state return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

20 Replies
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Some federal forms do not yet have the IRS final draft available and states do not finalize some of their forms until the federal ones are ready. The federal form will need to be complete before the state return can be finished. You may see a message that states "You've done a great job starting your taxes early, but it turns out some areas aren't ready yet for your specific tax situation." This means not all of the forms are ready for filing. Below this message, you can select the link that says "Email me when my forms are ready" to receive notification when the forms are ready.  

Below are the expected release dates for the state forms. Simply scroll down to your state and select your version of Turbo Tax for a list of forms and expected dates.  

When your state forms are finalized, Open Turbo Tax and Click on the State Taxes tab to open and finish your state return. https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908857-state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-per... 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It want let me sign to finish my state taxes

My federal has been excepted

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Please follow the state link below and check on the status of your state. 

The state and federal governments approve the most common forms first and work their way down the list. Please see the links for form availability. Once a date shows up, the reality should be close. Once released, Turbo Tax will work quickly to get it working in the program.

Federal form availability

State form availability

shukora

did you ever got a chance to do your state?

Shstat10

I can’t finish my state tax return. It is showing some forms are not ready. How to handle this situation ? Would that be updated automatically? Again, they accepted my Federal one and don’t know when would I get my federal refund.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, from time to time Federal and State FORMs have to be revised and approved.  This is a dynamic process and we aggressively pursue it.  At this point the target date for almost all forms is 02/12/2020.

Included are LINKs both for the Federal and State FORM status

IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products

Select your situation below to locate your 2019 form or schedule.

From <Federal FORM availability>

State forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products

Select your situation to locate your 2019 form.

From <State FORM Availability>

tmueller

I keep getting a box that pops up while transmitting my state that says there is an update that needs to be installed. I follow the process of checking for updates many times and it says my program is up to date.  Uninstalled and reinstalled with same issue. Federal was sent and accepted.

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

Please click here if you have a Windows PC and please click here if you have a MAC. These links will help with force or manually updating the software. If this does not work, please click here to get in contact with customer care. Tell the agent on the phone that it is a known issue and that the solution is to first push a federal download and then push the state. 

MzLucas88

I received a message saying that I’ve filed my 2019 taxes, but it won’t let me

complete my state taxes. 

MzLucas88

I’ve passed the screen that allows me to click the link to be emailed when my state forms are ready. At this point will my state taxes be late??

rickwolfe
Returning Member

Why cant i finish my state and school district taxes?  

rickwolfe
Returning Member

The answer for why I cant file my state return isn't acceptable.  I don't believe the forms aren't ready.  I signed up to be notified when they would be ready and was notified that they were, but still can't complete the state and school district returns.  I don't recall any new tax laws being passed in 2020 so why do we need new forms?  What really gives?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Each year the federal, state, and school district forms have to be tested and approved.

We would be happy to look into your situation if you tell us the State and School District you are preparing returns for.

@rickwolfe

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies