turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Missing NY State Forms

I don't see IT-242 on the forms availability schedule:

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_ny_windows_individual.html

Is there some misc way to attach such forms for tax year 2020 and 2021?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Missing NY State Forms

I tracked down NY Pub 93, "New York State Modernized e-File (MeF) Guide For Return Preparers For Tax Year 2021".  I also tracked down TurboTax's list of supported forms for their personal tax products.

The MeF Guide clearly says pdf attachments are no longer supported.

The MeF guide clearly says IT-242 is supported and the software must fully support it, including e-file, if it supports it at all. 

The TTax supported forms list clearly says if a form isn't listed it isn't supported.  IT-242 is NOT on the list.  

So anybody with a conservation easement credit is stuck filing by paper or finding a paid preparer with software that DOES support the form fully - Intuit's professional products support IT-242 as well as lots of the other misc. credit forms; no idea how user-friendly they make it though. 

BTW I have access to TaxSlayer Pro Online (used for VITA tax prep),  it doesn't support IT-242 either - you can code the summary amount onto IT-201-ATT as code 302 but you get a warning that NY e-file is not possible.  

View solution in original post

52 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Missing NY State Forms

No. TurboTax does not support Form IT-242.

IT-242

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Missing NY State Forms

They took it out this year?  It has worked for passed years where you attach as a PDF and fill in the number.  Why was it removed?

Missing NY State Forms

I think that means I need to use some whiteout and paper file it or put it on the wrong line so that at least it goes in the calculation and then use the "Other Certificate or Attachment" to get the PDF into the submission.

Missing NY State Forms

Sorry for the chain of posts, but I see how to do it.  I just skip the worksheet you describe.  Attach the PDF.  And fill it in on IT-201-ATT manually under 12a with the correct code.

Missing NY State Forms

For IT-242 (Conservation Easement credit) and any of the other 'not supported' forms, there are places on the Tax/Credit Wks (in forms mode) that feeds the codes on IT-201-ATT to enter an arbitrary code and amount. You don't have to do an override on IT-201-ATT.

For IT-242, enter code 302 and the amount on line 46 of the Tax/Credit Wks.  This will flow to a slot on line 12 a-l on the IT-201-ATT.

You'll still need to attach the PDF of IT-242.   And about 1 year in 4 they won't spot the attachment and you'll have to fix it up with a call/email to NY Tax. 

Missing NY State Forms

This is really great.  Thank you for describing this.  Only issue is that this doesn't prompt a PDF attachment the way overriding a working limited supported credit prompts.  Any trick to force a PDF attachment?  Also, who is "NY Tax" to call?  I.e. the state revenue agency in case I've confused them?  Or does Turbotax have a way to officially tell them that they've forgotten an easy limited support form?

Missing NY State Forms

I have a possible solution to the annoying PDF issue. First, I put in a "fake" number ($1) for another credit they do support, and I chose the Rehabilitation of Historic Properties Credit (IT-238). That made the previously missing "PDF Attachments" link appear under "Other Forms and Attachments" - hit "update" there and it leads you to attach the missing rehab credit form, but in that spot I instead attached my IT-242 for my conservation easement credit. On that page it also allows adding other attachments, but without the rehab credit form it was mainly looking for I tried but did not succeed to use only that "other" line. I then deleted my $1 "fake" rehab credit. Now, Form IT-201-ATT shows only my conservation easement credit, and the "Other Tax Credits" worksheet shows that credit on line 46 (where I "forced" it following other previous advice here) and "0" for rehab credit. And on the NY information worksheet, in Part VIII - Additional Information for E-Filed Returns, it shows my only electronic PDF attachment as for the rehab credit and its IT-238 form number in the file name that Turbotax gave it (not my label), but in fact the only actual attachment is for my conservation easement credit and its IT-242. Not ideal, I have not filed yet but hope this works, but really annoyed they changed from prior years when this type of workaround was not necessary.

Missing NY State Forms

Thanks.  I'm debating between either doing this kind of thing or just paper filing New York.  Maybe worth attaching a blank barn rehabilitation form so that it is all complete, but claiming $0.

Missing NY State Forms

I was trying to avoid paper filing. If you try the barn rehab form route you suggest, from what I saw in doing that with the historic rehab credit, maybe best not to claim $0 at first, put maybe $1 in, keep that in until you get to attach your PDF form for the conservation credit (putting that one in instead of what they expect for barn rehab), then after they say you've successfully attached your PDF file, go back and put $0 in the credit you really don't want, but that you initially did only because it was your way to get around their annoying change from how we could do this in previous years.

Missing NY State Forms

I cannot seem to ever get it to appear on the Information Worksheet.  I've tried deleting the NY State Return from scratch a few times.  Maybe it doesn't like filenames/paths.  Very odd.

Missing NY State Forms

Not easy at all. I was hoping to finish and file soon, maybe today, so I just looked again and found my IT-242 still listed on the NY Information worksheet. It says there it's for the Rehab credit, and the file name they assigned says "/attachment/it238.pdf" but in fact it's my IT-242. When I originally put in my "fake" Rehab credit claim of $1 so the PDF attachment possibility became active, I first tried ignoring the spot where they asked for the Rehab credit PDF and just inserted my true IT-242 information on the separate line for "other" forms, but that did not work. Instead I used the space they were providing for the Rehab Credit form and just  put my IT-242 there instead, and I then got a confirmation on the TurboTax screen that my forms had been successfully attached. I then saw on the Information worksheet that it was there, although shown there as IT-238, which it is not. It stayed that way even after I deleted the $1 "fake" Rehab credit I had put in only to be able to do this. Now, my NY IT-201-ATT (Other Tax Credits) shows only my conservation easement credit with its code 302 in box 12a. So, if and when I file I'm hoping they will find my IT-242 and ignore that TurboTax says it's for a Rehab credit for which they in any event won't find the IT-238 TurboTax may suggest they are getting. I'll try to post again after I try to file and hopefully get the returns accepted. Good luck with yours!

Missing NY State Forms

I spent some time on the phone with turbotax and they don't have any recommended workarounds for this or any explanation of why they broke the support this year.  Interestingly, if you pick a working credit and then try to use the "other pdf" box it does attempt to attach whatever you put into other, but then it seems to end up with nonsense during efile and fails with errors like this:

2021-03-07 16:33:39,017 [1] 2020.48.20.71 ERROR Intuit.Ctg.Wte.Service -
We are having difficulty recognizing the data you are sending. Please try again. - 601ERRV:?, FilingHdr_43 - ?:? - Invalid bodyComponentDescriptor name:

I tried one last time where it is filled in as a rehab credit and then squashed back down to $0 and it submits, but I'm pretty sure it does not send any attachments.  I attached the SysInternals ProcessMonitor debugging and do not see it read the attachment.  So I've submitted without the attachment and expect to hear from new york about a missing attachment.  Hopefully that is faster to fix than paper filing.

Good luck to you too.

Missing NY State Forms

I just efiled and did not get any error message. Maybe because I did not put my IT-242 in that "other PDF" box but instead in the box for the supported form, in effect "borrowing" that box in order to get my otherwise unsupported form to be attached? I agree - better to file without the form than to do paper filing just because TurboTax annoyingly would not allow that attachment. If and when New York asks for the missing form it would be easy to provide. Before I figured out my possible and hopefully successful workaround I looked but did not find an easy way to submit that single form to New York separately. After filing today I gave my TurboTax review and complained about this problem, also difficulty I had with several unsuccessful attempts to get ItsDeductible charitable contribution information to transfer in, which I finally succeeded to do on a last attempt before I filed, to avoid having to fill in all that information manually.

Missing NY State Forms

With the borrowed box I also got no errors, but the debugger showed that turbotax did not read the form during submission.  Thus I'm pretty sure I have not submitted the form using the borrowing trick.  However I never was able to get it to appear on Information sheet the way you were able.  Fingers crossed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies