turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

terabid

What is tax exempt int state id? TT asks for it and I can't find it on the 1099-O.ID

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

What is tax exempt int state id? TT asks for it and I can't find it on the 1099-O.ID

In all likelihood, the dividends truly are from more than one state, so you are going to want to select "More than One State” from the drop-down menu (if you are getting an error in the review, see note below).  But, its possible you can get a tax benefit on your state return if you can identify which state the dividends are from (the ID would be the state ID, i.e NY for New York).  The tax benefit you would get would be that your home state would not tax the dividends that come from your state if there even are any.  They would still tax the other dividends.

Note:  If you are getting an error related to this during error check, you can enter "XX" in the error check.  That is the equivalent of the "more than one state" option and will clear the error and allow you to proceed with your filing.

But, this information would only come from your financial institution.  If it is not listed right on the 1099 form (which it often is not), then you would need to contact your broker or financial institution for more information about the fund's investments.  It might be listed in your year-end reports or a prospectus online.  (Warning:  you are not likely to have much success finding out this information from your broker.) 

Also, you can not worry about trying to find the information and just select more than one state and continue if you: 

- Live in a state with no income tax (AK, FL, NV, SD, TX, WA, WY)
 - Live where exempt-interest dividends from other states aren't taxed (District of Columbia, IN)
 - Have a small amount of exempt-dividends and aren't concerned with extra state tax. Your state will tax these dividends if you don't live in an area listed above.

jseebol

Fl filer.  "XX" does not clear the error

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Try going back into the interview and review 1099-OID information.  When you get to the page asking about which states for the exempt interest, select "more than one state" from the drop down menu in the box, but do not check the box underneath just click "done." and move through.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Deb B

I imported my info from a financial institution and made the mistake of selecting 1 state rather than "more than one state". I can't seem to get back into the interview in order to review the 1099-OID info, in order to make the change.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You can make your correction in the Federal interview section of the program.

1. Select Income & Expenses under the Federal Tab 
  2. Scroll down to All income
  3. Select Interest and Dividends
  4. You will then see 1099-OID, Foreign Accounts.  Select Revisit here to edit your information.

1099-OID input

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies