Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work in New Jersey, but live in Connecticut...how will tax filing work? Will I get tax credit?

I started working in New Jersey 4/1/2023, but live full-time in Connecticut. How will tax filing work for me? Do I get a tax credit? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I work in New Jersey, but live in Connecticut...how will tax filing work? Will I get tax credit?

You will need to file a non-resident tax return for the state you work in, and after you prepare that return you will prepare a return for the state you live in.   You will get credit from the resident state for the tax paid to the non-resident state.  Just make sure you prepare the NON-resident state return first.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You will file a non-resident tax return for NJ, and a CT resident tax return.  Only your NJ W-2 wages will be taxed by NJ . (unless you own some rental or farm property in NJ that you get NJ income from.....or work there as an independent contractor)

You will do the NJ return first, and then your CT Resident tax return. The CT-resident return will tax all your income from everywhere, including the NJ wages...BUT....CT will allow you to take a credit for whatever tax NJ assessed (which is why the NJ non-resident tax return must be done first).  The CT credit will only be up-to what CT would have charged for that income, so if NJ taxes it at a higher %, then CT may not allow a full credit.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies