turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

es1070

I want to apply my refund to next years taxes but saw no option?

Don't want to receive refund but want to put it on my next years taxes
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you have not filed yet, see the following on how to apply your refund to next year's taxes.

How do I apply my refund to next year's (2021) taxes?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/how-do-i-apply-my-refund-to-next-year-s-taxes/00/2606...

View solution in original post

6 Replies

If you have not filed yet, see the following on how to apply your refund to next year's taxes.

How do I apply my refund to next year's (2021) taxes?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/how-do-i-apply-my-refund-to-next-year-s-taxes/00/2606...

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

You can apply part or all of your Federal refund to your estimated tax payments by taking the following steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “apply federal refund to next year” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to apply federal refund to next year
  • Click on the blue “Jump to apply federal refund to next year” link and enter your information

If you use TurboTax again to prepare your 2021 tax return, the amount that you applied will be automatically carried into your return.  If you do not use TurboTax again, be sure to keep a copy of your 2020 return so that you know what amount to enter on your 2021 return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dvolkerding
Returning Member

I am using Turbotax Deluxe.  I read your suggestion, but my version does not offer a "Search" icon or bar in the upper right hand corner.

I have to go to "View" on the menu bar, upper left hand corner, then  "Forms", and manually input my refund carry forward amount into the 1040 data form, line 36 Amount of line 34 that you want applied to your 2022 (next year) estimated tax.

Similarly, I do an input into my State and Local tax forms if I so desire.

Frustrating that the question is not offered as either an input under "Federal Taxes", then "Deductions and Credits", or as an input option during the "Federal Review" or "File" process.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

When completing your federal interview you will visit the "Other Tax situations" tab.  There you can scroll down to "Additional Tax Payments" and "Apply refund to next year."

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you DMark1. This is an actual answer!  So simple.

But I've spent 30 minutes looking for this answer.  It is soooooooooo  frustrating.  Instead of giving the answer, the answer is do a search for the answer.  Ugh.   That is, the blog answer is "type the following into your search bar: apply refund to next year"  ...well my search bar returns NOTHING!  I had already tried that before resorting to online help.   

I'm sorry, but your post was not an answer.  See the answer provided by DMark1.  That is how you answer a question, not by only posting a link that then tells you to type words into your search menu.  My search was not returning any answers - don't ask me why.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies