turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a W2 I need to file but it's exempt because this is for caring for my mother...where do I enter it and then negative it out?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

I have a W2 I need to file but it's exempt because this is for caring for my mother...where do I enter it and then negative it out?

Were you told that your payments would not be taxable income under IRS Notice 2014-7?

It sounds like you would qualify for the exclusion of the W-2 box 1 amount from your taxable income.

IRS Notice 2014-7 can be found at this link.  Click on the hyperlink Notice 2014-7 in the center of the page.

Certain Medicaid Waiver Payments for In-Home support services are excludable from gross income and should not be included in your earned income.  This is the case even if you have received a W-2 for performing these services.

If you have received a W-2, this help explains how to enter the income and then remove it from your taxable income.

Be sure to retain all your documentation.  The IRS is likely to ask questions about this income at some later time.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Were you told that your payments would not be taxable income under IRS Notice 2014-7?

It sounds like you would qualify for the exclusion of the W-2 box 1 amount from your taxable income.

IRS Notice 2014-7 can be found at this link.  Click on the hyperlink Notice 2014-7 in the center of the page.

Certain Medicaid Waiver Payments for In-Home support services are excludable from gross income and should not be included in your earned income.  This is the case even if you have received a W-2 for performing these services.

If you have received a W-2, this help explains how to enter the income and then remove it from your taxable income.

Be sure to retain all your documentation.  The IRS is likely to ask questions about this income at some later time.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies