turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to properly prepare for next taxes. I work remotely now!

I moved to Florida on February 2021. I just started working remotely (from Florida) for a company based in Georgia. Their accountant is asking me to file out the "STATE OF GEORGIA EMPLOYEE’S WITHHOLDING ALLOWANCE CERTIFICATE", and I want to make sure this is right as my understanding is that I do not need to file this for the state of Georgia.

I want to have a smooth experience for my next tax season so I want to do things the proper way from now.

THANK YOU!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

They have to get ALL employees to fill out that form for income tax withholdings ... it is the law for both Fed & states   ... if you are exempt then indicate that  and hand it in. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Domicile is the place you intend to make your permanent home, the place to which you intend to return if you are temporarily residing in another state.

If you have established a domicile in Florida, meaning that you have a Florida drivers license, changed your mailing address, registered to vote in Florida and have a bank account in Florida then you domiciled in Florida and are a Florida resident.

As a Florida resident if you do not ever live or work in Georgia then you do not need to have Georgia state income taxes withheld from your wages.

Florida does not have a personal income tax so there is no Florida state income tax return to file.

READ the form ... skip down to line 8.  https://dor.georgia.gov/form-g-4-employee-withholding

Thank you for your answer. Just to make sure, I am a Florida resident and work remotely from Florida for a Georgia company. Am I required to fill out taxes paperwork for Georgia? I don't know why my employer is asking me to fill that out. Does Georgia withheld taxes for "Florida residents who work remotely from Florida for a Georgia based company?

I am sorry, I'm very confused

They have to get ALL employees to fill out that form for income tax withholdings ... it is the law for both Fed & states   ... if you are exempt then indicate that  and hand it in. 

Awesome! Thank you VERY much.

I thought I got it, BUT the instructions for line 8 says :

Check the first box if you qualify to claim exempt from withholding. You can claim exempt if you filed a Georgia income tax return last year and the amount of Line 4 of Form 500EZ or Line 16 of Form 500 was zero, and you expect to file a Georgia tax return this year and will not have a tax liability. You can not claim exempt if you did not file a Georgia income tax return for the previous tax year. Receiving a refund in the previous tax year does not qualify you to claim exempt.

So if I can't claim exempt, then GA will withhold taxes even if I do not live or physically work there?

TomD8
Level 15

@rebazambrano --  You're correct, GA Form G-4 does not allow you to claim exempt in your situation, even though you will not be liable for GA income tax as long as you never physically work inside GA.

So you'll be stuck having to file a non-resident GA tax return for this year, on which you claim zero GA income.  GA will then refund the incorrectly withheld taxes.  Don't forget to file the G-4 for tax year 2022.

GA needs to update its withholding form to accommodate the new reality of remote work.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies