turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to file an extension ?

Can anyone tell me the step-by-step instructions for filing an extension? Do I have to fill out everything on TT and then click on "e-file extension"?

This is the first time I am doing an extension so I am not sure how to do it.

Thanks in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

29 Replies

No, you do not have to complete the federal tax return before filing for an extension.  However, if you have taxes owed on the federal tax return, those taxes have to be paid on or before April 18, 2022 to avoid a failure to pay penalty from the IRS.  The taxes owed can be paid with the extension request.

Filing for an extension gives you until October 17, 2022 to file the federal return.

Go to this TurboTax website to e-file an extension request - https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Form 4868 gives you a six-month extension, for any reason, to file federal income tax returns.

You have until October 17, 2022 to file your taxes instead of the tax deadline (April 18, 2022). This does not give you more time to pay your taxes (if you owe), which are due on April 18. However, filing an extension will help you avoid a late-filing penalty.

Choose your product from the link below for step by step instructions:

How do I file an IRS extension (Form 4868)?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the reply. I have to file for an extension for Federal, NY and PA. I lived in PA while working for a NY employer so I am getting credits to PA for the taxes I paid to NY. So I calculated everything and filled out every forms needed. Now should I just click on "e-file extension"

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Yes, the extensions will be sent when you click e-file extension.

Thanks for all the answers. Really appreciate. When I file for federal extension, will that also file for NY and PA extension or do I have to separately file for an extension for both the states? 

@eaglesfan22 wrote:

Thanks for all the answers. Really appreciate. When I file for federal extension, will that also file for NY and PA extension or do I have to separately file for an extension for both the states? 

See this TurboTax support FAQ for filing state extensions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/extensions/help/do-i-need-to-file-a-state-extension-if-so-how-do-i...

jboss

I have TurboTax Premier 2021, Windows version and would like to file an extension.

Should I be able to file the extension using the Windows version or does it have to be done online?

Thanks!

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please use this link to begin. https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/

What to Do After You've Filed an Income Tax Extension
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/tax-extensions/what-to-do-after-youve-filed-an-income-tax-exten...

Tallyhawk

How do I file an extension for the state of Colorado?  I have filed a federal extension request and this site says I can get an automatic Colorado extension but it does not tell me how to request one for Colorado.  It just keeps routing me back to the page that says I can get one.

@Tallyhawk wrote:

How do I file an extension for the state of Colorado?  I have filed a federal extension request and this site says I can get an automatic Colorado extension but it does not tell me how to request one for Colorado.  It just keeps routing me back to the page that says I can get one.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for filing a state extension - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/extensions/help/do-i-need-to-file-a-state-extension-if-so-how-do-i...

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Colorado offers an automatic extension @Tallyhawk. There is no form to fill out to notify the Department of Revenue that you are taking the extension, however, there is no extension for tax due.

If you owe Colorado state income tax, 90% of the tax liability must be paid by April 18th to avoid penalties. Any remaining balance due would be subject to interest only. You need to either pay through Revenue Online or submit your payment with the Extension Payment Form (DR 0158-I). Once you have paid at least 90% of your income tax liability by April 18th, you will have until October 15th to file your Colorado Income Tax Return (DR 0104).

If you expect to get a refund this year, but do not make the filing deadline, you can still file your state income tax on or before October 17th.

Due Dates & Filing Extension

Jesse Davis
Returning Member

How do I file a extension on my taxes 

Jesse Davis
Returning Member

• How do I file a extension on my taxes 
PattiF
Expert Alumni

The extension must be filed by April 18, 2022.

It isn't possible to file a post-deadline extension.

Keep in mind: An extension doesn't give you extra time to pay your taxes — but it will keep you from getting a late filing penalty. (You'll still owe interest if you pay after the deadline).

1. Open your return in TurboTax Online.
    (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and select Pick up where you left off).
  2. Select File an extension at the bottom of the column on the left side of the screen.
    • If you don't see the File an extension button in Step 2 above, search for extend using your product's search function and select the Jump to link at the top of your search results.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to e-file your extension.

Note: If you're paying additional taxes owed with direct debit, you'll need to provide your 2020 AGI for verification purposes (if you didn't file a 2020 return, enter 0 as your AGI).

If you don't have your AGI, or your extension gets rejected for the wrong AGI, here are 2 options:

1. Recommended: Pay your taxes at IRS Direct Pay (this also automatically gives you an extension).
  2. Download and print Form 4868, fill it out, and get it postmarked before 11:59 p.m. on April 18. Payment and mailing instructions are on pages 3 and 4 of your printout.

If you filed prior to the deadline, but were rejected, you will likely have until April 22 to mail in your extension.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies