turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FREE State Download

I paid for TurboTax Deluxe 2021 w/Fed Efile & FREE State Download but app is asking me to pay $40 additional for state

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies

FREE State Download

Just to let you know. Your not the only one they want to charge $40.00 for the State....

FREE State Download

If you purchased the 2021 Deluxe desktop software from TurboTax using this website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

then there is one free state program download included in the purchase price.  The state software normally is not available until mid-December at the earliest. 

If you are being asked to pay for the state software you will need to contact TurboTax support during business hours.

Support is open from 5am to 5pm Pacific time, Monday thru Friday.  Closed Thanksgiving day and Friday 11/26

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Or -

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

cranston

FREE State Download

I am also supposed to get a free state download. I will not file. Why is it charging me $40.

FREE State Download

Same problem here.  

FREE State Download

All of you are jumping the gun ... state programs are not yet available so avoid the STATE  tab and the FILE tab and you will not need to pay for anything. 

FREE State Download

Thanks. Will give it another try in a couple of weeks. Seems like it would have been a simple matter for TurboTax to link to a page stating that state downloads are not available yet rather than one asking me to pay for $40 for a download that I already paid for.

FREE State Download

The early version of the program  is always very buggy  and that note of when the fed/state form availability charts are posted in early January ... look at the review tab for that information.  

FREE State Download

When will my forms be ready?

Historically, IRS tax forms start becoming available in January, with a few stragglers (most notably Form 1040X) getting finalized in February.

State tax forms can become available for filing any time between December and late February, depending on the state and the tax form.

For specific forms and dates, refer to the Forms Availability Table for your TurboTax product, see the related information below.

Can I Still Work On My Return Before My Forms are Ready?

Yes, according to the following:

Federal Taxes
You can still work on your return and finish most of it. Once your forms become available, we’ll create the forms and include all of your info.

You’ll only be able to e-file or print your return once the forms are available.

While you’re working on your return, we’ll ask if you want to receive email updates when your forms become available.

State Taxes 
If your forms aren’t available, you’ll get a message asking you to return once they become available.

While you’re working on your return, you’ll have a chance to let us know you want to receive email updates when your forms become available.

Related Information: (links not yet active for the 2021 program) 

IRS Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Individual (Personal) Tax Products

·         State Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Individual (Personal) Tax Products

·         IRS Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Business

·         State Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Business

·         What does "Tax Form Under Construction" mean?

FREE State Download

Yes!  I agree.  In previous years, the software would indicate that the State download is not available yet.

FREE State Download

I was coming to ask this same question b/c I thought the first State was free...I hope it still is. I wasn't clicking b/c I expected to purchase, but I always click so it can let me know the date it's available. Nothing wrong with checking that. (I use it to calculate my final estimated tax payment for the current tax year, so I wanted to know how soon I could download. I was actually impressed it says mid Dec, not early Jan. 🙂  

But the $40 note concerned me b/c it's never said that before when I went to check a state's release date. I hope it's just a mistake -- like Critter says buggy -- and it's still included in our purchase price. We pay for the highest level TT avail. (We don't use online version.) 

FREE State Download

@1099erGirl As stated on the TurboTax desktop CD/Download website when you click on Includes 5 federal e-files and 1 state download. State e-file additional https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

One state INCLUDED with TurboTax Deluxe, Premier, and Home & Business

FREE State Download

DoninGA we KNOW that ONE free state is supposed to be included. Our frustrations is that the App is asking us to pay $40 for the ONE FREE STATE that we already paid for. I guess we'll see if we're still asked to pay again once the state programs are available.

glr
Level 1

FREE State Download

Same problem here with my TurboTax Deluxe 2021 product running on a Mac. I called Customer Service and was told the new Oracle billing system will be running Monday Dec. 13th and that should fix the problem. If it doesn't, call again.

FREE State Download

Dear valued TurboTax Advantage customer,

We have been made aware that a small number of TurboTax Advantage Mac customers who installed the new Deluxe, Premier or Home & Business versions of TurboTax for Mac (for Tax Year 2021) before December 14, 2021, may not have automatically received their one free state download.

We have resolved the issue in the latest update and request that all affected users update their software before trying to download their free state. If you are a TurboTax Advantage Deluxe, Premier or Home & Business customer on Mac, and paid for your one state download from within the product, please call our dedicated TurboTax Advantage support team at [phone number removed], 5 AM to 5 PM PST Monday through Friday to obtain a refund of that state download.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies