Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Form 8582: Activity Description

Form 8582 is available for a Federal Return.

If you live in Maryland, you can file your Federal return now and Maryland later. 

Click this link for info on How to Efile State Return after Federal.

If you don't live in Maryland, you should have no issues with Form 8582. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

WHEN WILL FORM 8582 BE AVAILABLE FOR MARYLAND.  IT DOESN'T EVEN APPLY TO ME AND YET I CAN'T FILE.  THIS HAS TO BE AN EASIER FIX THEN WHAT IT IS BEING MADE OUT TO BE AND SHOULD BE A PRIORITY!!!

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

@steviebtu3

The Maryland income tax return and some forms have not been finalized and approved for use by the state of Maryland. Please see the TurboTax FAQ State forms availability for an approximate date the return/forms should be ready to E-file or print.

This is not a Maryland issue, it’s a TurboTax issue. After reading some of they replies I went to TaxAct to file my taxes today and everything processed straight through and has already been accepted. Do yourself a favor and file at TaxAct or with another company. This is just unacceptable on TurboTaxes behalf to make the issue seem like a State problem when it’s actually the software.

Ok… but if that form doesn’t apply to me, why can’t your tech people put in the option to not fill out that one so I can file. This seems like more of a TurboTax problem since I’m not hearing other companies having this problem. 

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

@steviebtu3   Assuming you have no passive activity losses in the current year, and none to carryover from prior years, Form 8582 is not necessary and thus, deleting it may resolve the issue you are having with Form 8582.  Follow these steps to delete Form 8582.

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

Here is a link to a TurboTax article discussing how to delete a form which you also may find helpful.

How to View and Delete Forms in TurboTax Online

The issue is resolved for me. As of Feb 10, 2022, someone had posted that they had spoken with a rep for 2/10 release date on updated forms. Looks like that was the case 🙂

bedubya1
Returning Member

I am in Iowa and have the same problem.  Going in circles!!!!!!

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

@bedubya1    Assuming you have no passive activity losses in the current year, and none to carryover from prior years, Form 8582 is not necessary and thus, deleting it may resolve the issue you are having with Form 8582.  If you are using TurboTax online, follow these steps to delete Form 8582.

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.
mrsb12345
Returning Member

Still not working for me. I'm in MD. When will this be resolved?

I was able to efile MD state tax as of today. It worked!!. Don't see that error anymore. 

I’m sorry but the bull**bleep** copy and paste response the “tax experts” have been posting this week is a canned response not resolving the issue for many, STILL. TurboTax has REALLY messed it up this year and I’d bet money you all are going to lose a fair amount of customers between this tax year and next. The lack of action or even REASONABLE explanation coming from them is disgusting.

My company, like many probably, offers the option to auto-export your W2 from our system to TurboTax. Unfortunately for TurboTax, that decision is very much in my jurisdiction at my company, and we will NOT be offering this option going forward; we are terminating our relationship with TurboTax in this respect. 
So congrats TurboTax! Your complete ineptitude has cost you the business of tens of thousands of people, and that’s just ONE company! I hope many more follow suit. Between that and your decision to not continue with IRS free file this year, you are doing an EXCEPTIONAL job at practically shoving your customers to your competitors. 

bedubya1
Returning Member

But I am NOT using TurboTax Online.  I am using the TurboTax Home & Business CD.

I am having the same issue. I have already paid my fees to turbotax for my state and federal only to learn that I cannot file my state return because I am getting an error on the activity form. I live in Maryland as well. I have tried to delete it but once I confirm it, the form is still there and gives me the same error message. The answers from Turbo Tax are unacceptable!

Why are telling people this?? This doesn't work. I tried it will not allow me to delete the form.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies