turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Even after Federal efile accepted, michigan state efile not allowed stating "you must also select the federal return".

I have e-filed federal return and it is accepted in the status.

When I try to efile Michigan state tax ( File a Return => E-File => E-file my state return now(it shows that Federal Return has been transmitted) ),

TurboTax deluxe desktop version shows "E-file requires federal return. To e-file, you must also select the federal return".

Software is up-to-date with (Released 03/10/2021 Program and State).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Even after Federal efile accepted, michigan state efile not allowed stating "you must also select the federal return".

@Questh 

@ cromtoss 

@ Bull71 

@ robbyja 

and others

TurboTax has a new FAQ started for this "state efile issue even though Federal is accepted," but there is little info in it since it's still being investigated.  There IS a link there, however, to sign up for notifications.

FAQ: Why am I not able to e-file my state return after filing my Federal return?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-return-after-...

View solution in original post

Hello USA!

I just got an email from TT.  They said it would be fixed by 3/19 which means if you use a desktop version, you'll probably see it in an update on the next day.  

Good luck to all.

Opened TT today (Deluxe version for Windows).

It auto-updated with the fix.  🙂

I was then able to e-file my NYS returns without incident.

Just waiting to for NYS to formally accept the return.

Good luck to all who had this issue.

49 Replies

Same here but for NY.

Same here also in NY

I called Turbotax Support, and was informed that it is a known issue. State efile has been suspended for 30+ states, due to issue in a form relating to retirement plan.  I was told that this problem would be fixed by March 26, and I was asked to try again then.

Another finding:

Schedule W should be mandatory for reporting income for Michigan state, but it seems that TurboTax does not support efiling this form, according to the below link.

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_mi_windows_individual.html

For other states, you can check the link posted here:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/s[product key removed]ability-table-for-turbotax-indivi...

Hello-

The NY form was in this morning's update and I was able to get beyond the error I was experiencing yesterday.  Today resulted in a new error (per the subject line but for NY).

I was on with TT's level 2 support for almost 90 minutes (incl 10 minutes hold time).  We screen shared and support first had me uninstall/reinstall (Deluxe for Windows).  Although it reapplied the new update, it still didn't work (same error about having to also select the federal return which the software knew was already e-filed).  Support found a software patch that was specific to this problem (for NY) but it wouldn't apply (it gave a message that it was for the wrong version).  Support finally took a bunch of screen shots and said it would be escalated to development.  I now have an open case number and expect that they will resolve it "soon."  I believe there are others reporting the same problem.  Once I am fully resolved, I will update this thread.

TT told me I might have to print and mail since their software couldn't handle the e-filing. I think this person was lazy and didn't want to look into the issue.  It seems like its pretty wide-spread, so hopefully developers will find the fix soon.

NYS "requires" me to e-file although I imagine I could do it on the NYS taxation website.

With the TT PDF output, I imagine that be pretty easy to do.  

I'm not in a big rush (I'd just like to get this off my to do list) so I will simply wait for TT.

Keeping it all in TT will make it easier to file an amended return (pending some new COVID related legislation regarding taxation of unemployment benefits) not to mention handling next year's taxes. 

For Michigan, it might not be TT's fault. 

According to Michigan.gov, e-file is not supported on Schedule W. 

https://www.michigan.gov/taxes/0,4676,7-238-75545_43715-178350--,00.html

The above webpage does not indicate it is up-to-date for 2020. In 2019, I e-filed Michigan Schedule W without issue with TurboTax. 

Could any TurboTax employee confirm this is a state government issue, but not software?

I found a 2020 tax year thread for you regarding Michigan. 

It was answered by a Turbo Tax "employee - tax expert"

The question was "does TT generate a schedule W?"

TT's response was this in italics and I boldfaced and underlined the important part:

Yes.  The information which pulls into the Schedule W, Michigan Withholding Tax Statement comes from your input in the federal interview section.  (eg. W-2 Forms, 1099-R Forms, etc.)

The Michigan Schedule W is not supported for electronic filing though

You will need to print and mail your return. 

You will see Schedule W when you print out your return.

according to this michigan gov document, the schedule W might not be required for efile, but is only for paper-filing.

"Information from the W-2 and 1099 form is entered in the software and transmitted with
the e-file return. W-2 and 1099 forms should not be mailed to Treasury. The
Withholding Tax Schedule (Schedule W) and City Withholding Tax Schedule (City
Schedule W) should be provided to the taxpayer with the printed copy of the return."

Tax Year 2020 Electronic Filing

So, it seems more of a TurboTax software bug now, rather than state government's.

tanzella
Returning Member

Is California one of the 30+ states with this bug? I just updated everything on 3/11/2021 and got the same error. Going back, there is no option to choose the federal return. One of the CA forms needed was not available when I filed the federal return (since accepted and refund received) 2 weeks ago.

@tanzella 

As you (in CA) are seeing the same error "e-file requires federal return" even though the federal return was already e-filed (and TT recognizes that federal has completed e-file), I would conclude it's the same "bug." 

As an update, I have not received any new info from TT (no updates nor correspondence) and I'm still getting the same result today in TT Deluxe.  Bottom line, no change and I'm still waiting...

Screen shots show 

1. That TT "knows" my federal has been e-filed and the next step is to e-file the state.

2. The error that does not allow me to proceed with e-filing the state.

Bull71

Same here for Virginia. E-filed Federal and accepted. Went back into the software and attempted to now e-file my State, but received the message that I also need to go back and select Federal for filing. When I do so, am informed that Federal has already been filed. Therefore, no selection available to do what the software is asking me to do.

Same issue for Minnesota, in case anyone from my home state ends up on this thread.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies