turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jiacinto

Does Turbo Tax have the DC D-30 Form for landlords?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

No.

Form D-30 for D.C. is actually a Business Franchise Tax return and is not part of the individual filing requirements provided in TurboTax.

Link to D-30 Form information

See below for the list of forms supported by TurboTax for individual tax preparation and business tax preparation.

Individual D.C. Form & Availability

Business D.C. Form & Availability

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Does DC allow all of the federal schedule E deductions on its form d-30?  For example, where would I put HOA fee deductions on the dc form d-30?  Could someone confirm I have the right line items filled out?  

-gross rental income (line 6)

-total gross income (line 11)

-repairs (line 13, I assume this is different from maintenance costs like HOA)

-taxes (property taxes?) (line 17)

-interest expense (mortgage interest?) (line 18a)

-depreciation (line 21)

-other allowable deductions (line 23) (would other Schedule E deductions go on Schedule G, like auto/travel, cleaning and maintenance (like HOA), property insurance, legal and other professional fees, supplies, and utilities?)  

-total allowable deductions (line 24)

-net income (line 25)

-exemption (line 33)

-total dc taxable income (line 36)

-tax 8.25% (line 37)

-net tax (line 40)

-total amount due (line 45)

Are there any other relevant line items/credits?  This is a very complicated form for a pretty simple (and common) situation, so any help is appreciated!

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Management fees would most likely be reported on DC D-31, Line 21, which links to your Schedule G on the form that lists out the other allowable deductions.

It is recommended that if you fill out this form yourself that you complete the schedules first. Then, those totals should flow to the main form. 

Line by line instructions for Schedule E can be found on 2020 Instructions for Schedule E (2020).

Line by line instructions for the D-30 can be found in the 2020 D-3 Booklet starting on page 9.

@NMO36

Thanks.  I don't find the D-30 instructions particularly helpful, which is why I am posting here.  As others have mentioned, the D-30 form and instructions are complicated and include a lot of things that are irrelevant for small landlords who are passively renting a single property.

I've used TurboTax to complete Schedule E, but as others have noted, TurboTax does not support the DC D-30 form.  I really just want to confirm two things:  

(1) Can I use the same Schedule E deductions on the DC D-30 form?  In other words, are there certain deductions that Schedule E allows but DC disallows, or any additional deductions that DC allows that might not be on Schedule E?  

(2) For deductions that are not explicitly listed on the D-30 form, i.e., condo HOA fees (maintenance costs), where should I put them?  It seems like Schedule G is the place, which links to line 23 of the D-30.  My confusion is that the Schedule G instructions only refer to royalty, interest, etc. and not the types of standard maintenance costs I am trying to deduct:

Schedule G – Other allowable deductions

If you are the recipient of royalty, interest or other intangible payments from a related entity that has not deducted the payment amounts on their return and you are filing a return and paying tax on these payments in the District, enter, on Schedule G, the amount of income you are reporting on this return to the extent it was included: on Lines 15(b) and 18(b) of the related entity’s District of Columbia D-30 tax return; on Lines 18(b) and 23(b) of the related entity’s District of Columbia D-20 tax return; or on a related entity’s return filed in another state where a similar adjustment was made.

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

There are no expenses from Schedule E that are not allowable on D30, however you want to make sure you put them in the right places. 

Rental Income goes on Line 6, Repairs, Line 12, Taxes, Line 16 from Schedule C of D30, and Depreciation Line 20. 

Don't overlook the minimum Franchise tax is $250.

Schedule G only has 6 lines so you will need to do some consolidation of expense categories to make them all fit on the Schedule.

District of Columbia D30 Franchise Tax

Thanks.  Where do I put the carryover passive losses on the D30 that net out my rental income to $0?  For example, assume I had $1,000 in rental income, and my schedule E shows $1,000 of deductible rental losses from the prior year, so that my rental income is $0 on Schedule E?  

Would it go on the D30 Schedule G or somewhere else?

Would I need to attach form 8582 (passive activity loss limitations) to my D30?

On the DC D-30, what do I fill in for "Registered Business Name" for my rental property? The BBL just uses my name -- do I just put my name here too?

Also, what about "designated agent name" and FEIN?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@jmddd000  If you have not incorporated or organized and created a name for your business then you'll just put your name here and under 'designated agent's name'.  FEIN is Federal Employment Identification Number.  It's the social security number for companies.  If you never created a corporation then this is just your social security number.

This is my first time filing a D-30.  My DC taxable income for my rental property is -12,000.

Am I completing the following correctly on the D-30 form?: 

• Line 37(Tax) 8.25% of Line 36 (Taxable income):  Do I put in - 990?   Or do I put 0? 
  • Line 40 (Tax): Do I insert the minimum tax of $250? Or leave blank?
  • Line 45 (Total amount due): $250
  • Schedule F:  Do i have to complete this? the rental property is 100% in DC. If i have to complete what do i put as gross receipts?
  • When submitting my tax returns do i have to include schedules and documents that are empty? for instance Schedules I and J, Combined Group Schedule, Worldwide combined reporting form?
  • Schedule SR - I understand that the tax credit is inapplicable because my net income is a loss. Please let me know if my understanding is correct.

Thank you so much for any help!

I can't help with your question specifically, but I had some similar questions being a first time D-30 filer. I ended up just calling the DC Office of Tax and Revenue. I was on hold for quite a while, but when someone finally answered, I basically walked through the form with them to get the answers I needed. I ended up calling twice to clarify some things, and both times they were willing (although maybe a little annoyed) to answer my questions. 

Thanks a lot - I will do so. 

So the Unincorporated Franchise Tax fee (min $250) is deductible on the Unincorporated Franchise D-30 return?  Are you sure?  That would be like deducting your prior year's federal taxes paid on your current return (Sched A or Std Deduction).  And that you don't do.  Now the associated business license fees that get paid every 2 years to get your business license, yes that should be in there under Section G.  Please correct me if I'm wrong about the Unincorp. Fr. Tax fee.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

DC says not to deduct the franchise tax.

Enter taxes imposed on taxpayers as reported in Schedule C, page 3, Form D-30. Do not deduct these taxes: 

• Income and excess profit taxes; 
  • DC franchise tax; or 
  • Taxes assessed against the property for local benefits of a kind tending to increase the value of the property assessed.

See page 11 of the D-30 booklet.

@LanceinDC 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies