Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ELChasta
Returning Member

Delete extra state from tax file

I have downloaded Indiana, Michigan, and Illinois states from TurboTax to accommodate each of my different family member tax returns.  Each of us live in one of the states and are nonresidents of only one other state.  Now TurboTax is trying to add all three states to our different tax returns.  How do I delete the states each of us doesn't need from our different tax returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

Here's how to clear (delete) a state return in the TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software:

1. With your return open in TurboTax, switch to Forms mode by clicking the Forms icon in the upper right corner of your screen.
  2. From the File menu in the upper left corner, choose Remove State Return. (This won't delete your state program, just the state tax return.)
  3. Select the return you want to delete and click Remove. Answer Yes to confirm.

If you want to start a new state return, select the Step-by-Step icon in the upper right corner, and then select the State Taxes tab.

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

22 Replies
KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

Here's how to clear (delete) a state return in the TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software:

1. With your return open in TurboTax, switch to Forms mode by clicking the Forms icon in the upper right corner of your screen.
  2. From the File menu in the upper left corner, choose Remove State Return. (This won't delete your state program, just the state tax return.)
  3. Select the return you want to delete and click Remove. Answer Yes to confirm.

If you want to start a new state return, select the Step-by-Step icon in the upper right corner, and then select the State Taxes tab.

Related Information:

How do you perform a state deletion in the Mac desktop app?

These steps don't match up to the Mac program.

Thank you.

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Mac Instructions

1. Switch to Forms mode.
  2. In the left pane, select the form you want to remove (if you don't see it, click Open Form at the top).
  3. From the Forms menu, select Remove [form name].
  4. Follow any on-screen instructions to remove the form or forms.

@j_demarchi

That does not answer the question and it does not solve the problem. 

We added GA state to help do taxes for my brother-in-law who passed away.  That was over 5 years ago.  Now GA is one of the states added to our TurboTax software each year, even though we do not file a GA return. 

I cannot get it to "go away".   

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

You can delete the state from any of the returns you have already created by clicking File  > Remove State Return when you are in the return.  Do this BEFORE taking the steps below.

To prevent the GA form from attaching, you can remove the GA formset from TurboTax in Windows File Explorer.

1. Open File Explorer and go to the following address:  C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax\[version of TurboTax you are using]\Forms
  2. In the Forms folder you will see a folder gai_20
  3. Delete this folder.
  4. This will remove the GA formset and perhaps next year it won't automatically install.

I removed the gai_20 folder from C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax\Deluxe 2020\Forms\ 

and GA no longer is an option to select when I go to TurboTax [Your State Returns] screen. 

I am finished for 2020; I will see what happens for 2021.

Thanks for your help.   

beautiful, thank you!

I have both the CA and IL state tax program/forms files.... I only need the IL.

TT keeps "updating" both worlds...
is there a way to totally delete the CA program/forms from future updating ?

I have manually deleted the CA folder.... will see if that fixes things ...

1Capture.JPG

@PS56k wrote:

is there a way to totally delete the CA program/forms from future updating ?

Not without messing around in your Windows registry (not recommended but you could search for the first three letters in CA followed by _22 - e.g., cal_22).

You can delete the directory under "Forms" but I have found that it regenerates after you do a program update (it has been this way for years).

I found another post that did give some instructions to delete these extra states so they won't update. But then after deleting keys in the registry and everything else I could think of, rebooted the PC and when I went into TT the unwanted states came back and were updating.  While this is basically just a nuisance it drives me CRAZY.  Intuit seems to be just ignoring this problem as it has been going on for years.  My guess is if a TT Programmer spent half the time that I just did that this issue could be SOLVED!

The only sure way is to move to another computer that never had Turbo Tax on it.  

yeah - it's just one of those things that should be an easy solution -

but they never thought of it for some reason.

It really is a pain for those tracking any college student returns....

home state --> school state/s --> work state/s !!!

My cynical take is that TT makes some extra money from people accidently buying these "extra" states that they really don't want or need.   

It's amazing that most of the replies from the "experts" don't actually reply to the actual question and situation posted..... They mostly are sharing instructions on how to remove the "state return" which pretty much has a TTax menu entry...

BUT they don't answer the question how to remove the "state software" which is the real question.... because... there is no real answer, or way to remove it -

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies