Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cost that Turbotax Charges to File the State returns

I used 2021 Turbotax Deluxe CD. I filed my federal in February. Then when I began the California state filing, I paid $20. But on the payment screen it showed $20 but also showed $25 crossed out. I remember last year I paid $20 when I filed in February. A friend of mine asked me to help him do his taxes last year and he bought Turbotax Deluxe. He filed in March and Turbotax charged him $25. Why does Turbotax charge different prices to file the state ?

Please advise. Thanks and blessings !

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

The state e-file charge when using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions is $20 if the state return was e-filed before March 1.  On March 1 the price increases to $25 for the rest of the year.

Well, then, I think that Turbotax should ensure that customers know up front that the price increases to $25 beginning March 1.   Don't you think?  (Why increase the price anyway???  Seems like Turbotax should allow everyone to pay only $20.  Just sayin')

Blessings.  

FYI -  and what I've found is..........

There will be a delay in Desktop program between March 1 when the price goes up and the next time the program update comes out, usually on Thursdays. It will show the $20 price but you be charged 25.

Wow, that's deceitful !!! 

I love Turbotax and have been using it for many years, but, Turbotax, why do you do this?    Give us a break !!

Blessings.....

Plus, what's the reason behind Turbotax increasing the efiling fee an additional $5 (from $20 to $25) anyway?  What's the difference wheter a filer efiles in February, March or April ???   Turbotax:  Explain please?

God bless us all....

Yes, that question deserves an answer. If I had known that I would have filed yesterday. What could be a reasonable answer to this? I can't think of any. I hate having to pay extra to file the state return anyway, so this just makes it worse. It used to be included when you bought TurboTax. 

Yes, I think that it used to be free to efile to the state some years ago.  Turbotax, why not give us loyal customers a break ??  

Hope someone from Turbotax responds. 

Have a blessed day !

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

You can find all TurboTax products and prices listed here.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reach out to our TurboTax Customer Care team. The best and most efficient way for you to connect with the right person to get the help you need is to select the version you are using below. Use the web form and type your question or a keyword. You will get an appropriate phone number for your issue. (You will not get a phone number if you use the link outside of operating hours.) We're open daily from 5:00 AM to 9:00 PM PT.

Greg2424

Just filed and was surprised to see a $20 charge to e-file my state tax return after using Turbo Tax's Download version.  Not sure why they blindsided me with this cost as I'm ready to file.  Equally surprised that if I would have filed 3 days from now, they would have upped the charge to $25.  Seems like "nickel and diming" a long-term user of their product.

I thought that the experience and ease of use of this year's software was an improvement over previous years, BUT this charge has left a bad taste.  Next year, I'll have to see what H&R Block offers.

It's always been a fee to efile state in the Desktop program.  In the Desktop program you get one free state PROGRAM download to prepare unlimited state returns. Then each state return (including the first one) is $20 to efile, usually goes up to $25 March 1. Or you can print and mail state for free.  

Greg2424

Thanks for the quick response.  After many years of filing online through Turbo Tax, I choose to try the download version because I understood that it was less expensive to file (i.e.: all-in cost).  It wound up being about the same.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies