turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CA just fined me even though I paid for the taxes on TurboTax. What should I do?

I did my CA state tax through TurboTax and it shows that it was accepted. What am I supposed to do now? I am afraid of getting more fines. I have Max benefits if that helps somehow. I am also living in Japan. 

Edit: I just realized that I might not have sent the payment voucher to CA but I can't remember. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

CA just fined me even though I paid for the taxes on TurboTax. What should I do?

Yeah ... making the required payment is needed ... so check your records for the payment.  The payment had to be made by you since it could not be done with a federal refund or done by the TT program.  

Your only proof of payment is the cancelled check or bank/CC statement showing the payment. 

Well, I found the payment voucher that TurboTax gave me when I filed it. In that case what should I do with this? Since I want to dispute it. Should I just mail the voucher to the tax office or do I need to mail this along with the money for the fine and all of my tax documents as well. 

Interesting ... at least respond to the state's notice if you are not agreeing to it and send a partial payment if you agree you do owe something.  

If you have proof of payment was the amount paid before April18th?

Do not send the voucher unless you are including a check for the amount shown, which is not going to be the amount CA is asking for..

@samurai226 

the voucher will do no good. the IRS wants proof of payment. that would be a copy of the check. for a charge to your debit or credit card a copy of that month's statement.  if you didn't pay follow the instructions on the notice for making payment. 

TomD8
Level 15

The voucher that TurboTax prints is not proof of payment.  The voucher is intended to be mailed to the CA FTB with your check or money order if you choose to pay your taxes by mail.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2021/2021-3582-e-file.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Ok, so I just need to send the voucher and the credit card statement for that month to the tax office. Is that all I have to send?

Will it matter if the credit card payment is not under my name? I was forced to use my dad's credit card at the time of purchase. Since my credit card kept getting errors. 

Ok ... so that may be the issue with them putting your payment with his CC ... respond to the notice with any and all info needed to support your position. 

Just a small question.  Did you use his credit card for the Turbo Tax fees?  Or did you also pay the state tax due with it?  Did you pay the state directly on their website?   Does the credit card charge say for CA FTB and for the tax due amount?  

You said CA fined you.  Is the CA bill just a late payment penalty or is it for the whole tax due amount (plus interest)?  

So, I just wanted to give an update and found out that for some reason the credit card statement for that month was not charged the CA tax fee. So I ended up paying the tax and the penalty fee. I don't know why it was not charged and there was no notice that it was not charged.

I was able to pay it off with my credit card thankfully. Though unfortunately, I got the letter about  5 days before the due date due to being in Japan.

Just wanted to thank the community for their help with this. Being in another country and dealing with taxes is always a nightmare for me.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies