turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amend 2020 California return online

Hi,

According to https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/can-i-efile-an-ame[product key removed]n/00/27183 (as of 9/19/21) it is possible to e-file an amended  CA return for 2020. How can I do this?

I was able to amend the federal returns electronically, but not  the state returns. Note this is for the installed version of Turbo Tax 2020, home and business,  for windows.

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies

Actually this entire feature is totally broken and screwed up. I have no way of e-filing an amended CA return.

After two different calls and over an hour of screwing around I can report that this is totally broken and TT support cannot fix it.

They claim they will start an investigation, but the form to upload my tax file is hilariously broken. This entire situation is a kafka-esque sick comedy of errors.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/can-i-efile-an-ame[product key removed]n/00/27183 clearly states that TurboTax can e-file an amended california return.

That is actually a lie and there is no way to efile per support. This is honestly disgraceful.

fish99
Returning Member

so what is the solution?  paper file the amend? 

Correct. They told me to paper file, which is insane for my returns. Also...who the hell owns a printer. The reason I bought this software was to e-file, not to kill trees.

fish99
Returning Member

what the!!! that is a lot of paper to print.  What is turbo tax support call # you used?

Yes, it's insane. Basically they are telling me to buy a printer, waste 100 pages of paper, stamps, etc. all because the program that I paid for doesn't have a feature that they advertised as available.

I called [phone number removed]‬, I'm also talking to their twitter support.

@dkanter Why do you think you would need to print or mail 100 pages?   Most of that stuff is just worksheets that you do not send to the IRS.   When you choose to print a return to mail it will only print the several pages needed to send in the mail, not 100 pages.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

As for your "buy a printer" issue:

I DO NOT HAVE A PRINTER—WHAT CAN I DO?

We cannot solve your printer problem for you  If you do not have a working printer, you can access your account from any computer that has internet access and print your return.  So perhaps you need to see if a friend or relative can let you print from a computer with a printer.  Or print it at a UPS place or Staples, etc.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@dkanter Oh---and you are posting from the CD/download.   You can easily save your return as a pdf and print only the pages you want to print.   Again--if you do not own a printer you can save the file to a flash drive and use a printer elsewhere.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@dkanter Why do you think you would need to print or mail 100 pages?   Most of that stuff is just worksheets that you do not send to the IRS.   When you choose to print a return to mail it will only print the several pages needed to send in the mail, not 100 pages.

I know it's about 50-100 pages because I eyeballed the size when I looked at printing. I'm sure plenty of people have 5-6 page state tax returns. Mine is 10-20X larger.

My point is that Intuit clearly advertises e-filing for CA amended returns, but the product apparently cannot do that. That's BS. It's bad for customers, bad for the environment, and frankly disgraceful.

When you are in the File section choose to file by mail.   Then preview the return that is going to print---see how many pages it shows that you will need to print to mail in to the state.

You know, it's really pretty condescending when I tell you the answer and you refuse to listen. so let me repeat in caps in case it will help you understand:

PRINTING MY STATE TAX AMENDMENT TAKES >60 PAGES.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time Monday-Friday.

fish99
Returning Member

So, this is what listed under filling instruction: 

What you need to mail:

Your amended tax return - Amended Form 540 or Amended Form 540NR with Schedule X. Remember to sign and date the return.
Your payment - Mail a check or money order ,  payable to "Franchise Tax Board". Write your Social Security number and "2020  Amended Form 540 or Amended Form 540NR with Schedule X" on the check.
Mail the return and check together, but do not staple or attach the
check to the return.
|
| Attach the following to your California tax return:
| - a copy of your federal return
| - all revised forms, schedules, and documents supporting each change, such as corrected forms(s) W-2 or 1099, schedule(s) K-1, escrow statements and the Schedule X.
|
| Mail your return, attachments and payment to:
| Franchise Tax Board
| PO Box 942867
| Sacramento, CA [removed]
|
| Don't forget correct postage on the envelope.

It did stated "all revised forms" -- I guess it depends on what is been revised.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies