turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm not sure what to put for the state we moved to. We moved to Okinawa, Japan. I tried AP (Armed Forces Pacific) but it wouldn't accept it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm not sure what to put for the state we moved to. We moved to Okinawa, Japan. I tried AP (Armed Forces Pacific) but it wouldn't accept it.

Assuming you are a member of the military based on the information provided, you do not change your state of residence. For tax purposes, you keep your home state unless you changed your State of Legal Residence (SLR) with Defense Department Form 2058.

When completing your tax return, you use your SLR as your resident state. When entering information in TurboTax, make sure you are entering the information for your home state every time you enter information about where you lived. 

Here a few key places to confirm your SLR:

·       On the first screen of personal information, enter the zip code of your SLR, not your base

·       In Personal Information part 1, provide your SLR address

·       In Personal Information part 2, do not mark you lived in another 

For more information about the home state of military members, please see this helpful article:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901517-what-is-my-military-state-of-residence

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Assuming you are a member of the military based on the information provided, you do not change your state of residence. For tax purposes, you keep your home state unless you changed your State of Legal Residence (SLR) with Defense Department Form 2058.

When completing your tax return, you use your SLR as your resident state. When entering information in TurboTax, make sure you are entering the information for your home state every time you enter information about where you lived. 

Here a few key places to confirm your SLR:

·       On the first screen of personal information, enter the zip code of your SLR, not your base

·       In Personal Information part 1, provide your SLR address

·       In Personal Information part 2, do not mark you lived in another 

For more information about the home state of military members, please see this helpful article:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901517-what-is-my-military-state-of-residence

This isn’t about SLR. We are trying to claim some of our moving expenses (active duty). In order to claim your moving expenses, you have to put what state you moved to. We are stationed overseas now. It won’t let me put AP (Armed Forces Pacific) what should I put?

Put Okinawa, Japan.

It has to be a two letter abbreviation. It won't let me put Japan. I've tried JP, JA.

I am sorry for the frustration.

When I tried a sample, I didn't need to make an abbreviation.  Here is where I see it:
Deductions and Credits
Other Deductions
Moving Expenses
Tell Us About Your Move
Enter City

Can you tell me where you are finding you have to enter a two letter abbreviation?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies