Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

On 2015 form line 71, TT miscalculated the amount of SStax withheld by assigning W2 forms for me and spouse to one of us. This was not user error. It was software.

I filed a claim with TT and of course the assessment came back that I requested to apply my wife's withheld social security to me.  Although I appreciate people taking time to explain that it was user error and that I got warnings and pop-ups, I truly don't recall getting those.  

Also, I find it impossible when completing the step-by-step process that I somehow reverted to applying my wife's W2 data into my line items.  The instructions in the tool are very clear - "Now let's complete Steve's employer data."  Then, - "Now let's work on [wife's name] employer data."  By the way, those things are imported and not even keyed in.  I know my employer vs my wife's employer.  That stuff is not complex or above my head.

The TT solution had my wife's name and employer identified.  But somehow I intentionally instructed the software to apply her employer to me and her line items?   I'm not buying it...even though I agree it's my fault that I did not scrutinize the output more closely.

I'm siding with the others who moved to H&R Block.  Somehow the TT programming crossed the wires.  But customers always have a voice for next time by voting with their feet.

On 2015 form line 71, TT miscalculated the amount of SStax withheld by assigning W2 forms for me and spouse to one of us. This was not user error. It was software.

Just FYI ... when you put in an accuracy claim the processor is able to open your account and is able to see exactly which entries you made, the computer made and  what was imported ( they are color coded).  So if the claim was denied then it must have been user entered.

Sorry ... this is 100% user error so get the error fixed for 2016 now before the IRS catches it and adds penalties & interest. 

You can try to put in an accuracy guarantee but don't expect a result in your favor ...

TurboTax has an Accuracy Guarantee for calculations by the program.  If there is a TurboTax calculation error the guarantee will pay any penalties or interest but not any taxes owed.  User errors are not covered by the guarantee.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the Accuracy Guarantee -https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2566201-what-is-the-turbotax-100-accurate-calculation-guarantee

Open your 2015 return, and look at the worksheets. It will show you to whom you assigned each W-2.

I looked at each of the four W-2s worksheets and each item is correctly entered. Is there another form or worksheet where excess SS tax or tier 1 RRTA taxes might somehow come into play?

SweetieJean is right. The amounts were correct but the "to whom you assigned each W-2" was, in fact, the culprit. I stand corrected and am breaking out the ol' checkbook...

And the screens in the ONLINE version & the downloaded version are exactly the same so it is not the program.

The program screen for the warning has actually changed a bit every year to make the error easier for the user to understand but ultimately it is the user that has to read the warning and take action ... the program cannot do it for you.... see the 2016 screen here ...

see the 2014 screen here ...

and you should always review your return carefully before filing. If you had, you would have seen the SS overpayment there.

especially on a side by side comparison ... that should have stuck out like a sore thumb since you never had an amount on that line before...

Did you catch it in time for 2016?  If not you probably should amend it before the IRS sends out the 2016 letters next year.

THEN for next  year, if you transfer over from 2016 you should delete ALL the W2s and re-enter them from scratch making sure to assign them to the right spouse.

See this person found they had entered both W2 under the same name,
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4122731-why-did-turbo-tax-combine-my-husband-and-my-ss-taxes-toget...>

You have until 10/16/17 to amend the return using the current online program ...after that you will need to go thru the hassle of downloading & installing the amendment program which will not be available for about 6 weeks due to the change over to the 2017 returns ... and when you do you will see the entry error you made when you make the correction.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies