Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlcurran

On 2015 form line 71, TT miscalculated the amount of SStax withheld by assigning W2 forms for me and spouse to one of us. This was not user error. It was software.

Turbo Tax screwed up on the 2015 1040 tax return.  TT lumped my W2 with my wife's W2 for the purpose of calculating the amount of Social Security and RRT tax withheld. The result is I now owe taxes for the 2015 year.  

I've read others' complaints with the same problem, and TT always has the same response...user error. I know for a fact that each W2 was entered correctly.  2015 was the first year I used TT online (1998-2014 I purchased the software) and it's clearly TT's fault.  There is an error in the TT software and TT should reimburse me for this mistake.  I reviewed past years and I see you made the same mistake for 2016

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies

On 2015 form line 71, TT miscalculated the amount of SStax withheld by assigning W2 forms for me and spouse to one of us. This was not user error. It was software.

If it were TT's error, there would have thousands of complaints from users. That has not happened.

I have the exact same complaint. All info was correctly added into the W-2 section of turbotax (I pulled up the 2015 version and reviewed). Perhaps there aren't thousands of complaints because the IRS is just getting to these returns.

Yep ... if you entered the wrong code in box 12 of the W-2 then you could get the same issue although it is far less common a mistake.    If you used code A instead of the correct code, that error may also have produced excess social security.

check your box 12 on each actual W-2 form in your tax file:   a code "A" or code "M" with a $$ amount may also affect your line 71 value.

I stand corrected. A W-2 was attributed to the wrong person which raised the SS taxes over the individual limit resulting in an "overpayment." Those wiley cats over at the IRS caught the mistake. Explains why I had my first and only refund in 15 years of paying taxes...

Glad you figured it out.

Always review the prior year return side by side with the current year return to see the differences (especially if the bottom line is not what you expected ) and this error would have stuck out like a sore thumb.   Check the 2016 return as well to see if you duplicated the error especially if you transferred in the 2015 info to the 2016 return.
jlcurran

Thank you everyone who responded.  Turbo Tax asked me questions as I input the data (Any more W2's for you?  Any more W2's for your wife?) and the information was entered properly, as it had been done for the 17 years prior.  I am responsible for these delinquent taxes, but hey should own and admit their mistake...perhaps offer to pay the interest.

I have been using Turbo Tax since 1998 and have never had this issue.  If line 71 is a red flag for the IRS, why isn't this a red flag for Turbo Tax when they do their audit review?  "You've entered XXX on line 71.  Typically, this only applies if you or your spouse have multiple W2 forms."   This error could have been caught when tax forms were prepared in 2016, and I could have avoided the repeat error the following years.  I will take my business elsewhere next year.

@jlcurran

TTX does warn you about it....it pops up a page which shows you which spouse is assigned to the W-2 forms for-which the excess SS is "supposedly" going to be refunded, and gives you a chance to re-assign the W-2 forms to the appropriate person

.....  look at the pictures in the answers that  @Critter#2 showed below (on 1 October)
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I just received my CP2000 notice from the IRS yesterday, July 16, 2018.  There are likely many others who will get their notice.  It's the same issue on line 71 and there was no pop-up warning.  All data was entered and assigned correctly - one W2 and employer for me with the data; then, one W2 and employer for my wife with the data.  

No error message was generated and I did not catch the line 71 excess SS calculation.  There were a few things that TT software asked me about during the final audit and before submitting my returns, but line 71 was not one of them.

I also checked my 2017 return, but there was/is nothing in line 71 for excess SS withdrawn.  I've used TT for years, but this screw up with their software is not acceptable.

@jstevenbaker

If you look at the answers below..you will see three expandable screenshots of the warnings that TTX presents the users....as soon as the excess occurs....after entering the offending W-2 form

The warning is there...sorry you missed it.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
janetrigs

we seem to have this or a similar problem on our 2016 return with excess social security cited which now the IRS wants us to pay (and why didn't Turbo Tax say something to us at the time??) - It very much seems a Turbo Tax problem, and if it was entered by us manually incorrectly, then its fully valid to cite it as a desired 'enhancement' to the program to help ask 'Please confirm, did you use the correct code for this field? Turbo Taxes calculations show an uncommon situation where your social security withheld is over the allowed amount.'   

Once again that is a user entry error and you failed to read the warning screens. They have redesigned them 5 times in the past 5 years and somehow some users miss the warning every year  ...see the screenshot in the other answer to see the warning screen you miss read.
jlcurran

Again, I appreciate all of the responses.  I used Turbox Tax from the late 90's thru 2017.  The information is taken directly from the W2 forms for each person and there is NO POSSIBLE WAY for user error to combine just that one line.  The Turbo Tax screwed up by adding the lines together.  There was no warning because the program was messed up.  

I switched to H&R Block last year (2018) and could not bee happier.  No more Turbo Tax.  Good riddance.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies