Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Soniccool2015
Returning Member

Live in PA, Worked both in NY and PA. Should I select Not Taxable for NY income on the PA Form?

I live in PA and worked in NY from JAN 1 2022 - March 31 2022. Now I worked in PA from April 1 2022 to present.

When I generate my PA taxes, it includes the NY and PA taxes in the Compensation Summary page below.

Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 2.31.11 PM.png

I generated my Non-Resident NY first, now the PA Resident. In the PA Resident form, should I select "Entire amount of this income is not taxable in PA." for the NY income since it was not earned in PA? This allows me to get a refund for the difference in Credit. I just want to make sure, because then PA takes my total Gross of NY and PA.

Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 2.32.42 PM.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Live in PA, Worked both in NY and PA. Should I select Not Taxable for NY income on the PA Form?

Filing your Non-Resident State first is the correct thing to do.  Turbo Tax should calculate the rest.  The income tax you paid on your NY your income should be shown as a credit on your Pennsylvania Tax Return.

Pennsylvania and New York do not have income tax reciprocity.  That is why you file your New York tax return first and then when you file your Pennsylvania return, that New York tax information will flow over to your PA Resident return and your credit determined by Turbo Tax.

Click here for more information regarding filing tax returns in multiple states.

Click here for information regarding your Pennsylvania State Tax Return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Soniccool2015
Returning Member

Yep i see that. But should I remove the NY Earnings from my PA return by checking off "Entire amount of this income is not taxable in PA."? When I do, it also shows that I will get some refund from PA.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Yes. Remove your New York earnings from your Pennsylvania return if both lines are coming from the same W-2, i.e. the same job reported a NY and PA wage amount because PA taxes some benefits that NY does not, such as 401(k) contributions.

You probably would have a refund if you have NY and PA withholding from the same job.

New York's tax rate is usually higher so the other state tax credit will cover 100% of your PA tax liability. If your withheld PA tax on the same income, that's what you are getting back.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies