turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rhonda560

I receive wages from NE & VA taxes are withheld. Do I have to file NE taxes? I live in VA.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

I receive wages from NE & VA taxes are withheld. Do I have to file NE taxes? I live in VA.

It depends but if you either performed work in NE or worked remotely from VA for an NE based company, you will need to file both an NE nonresident state income tax return and a VA resident state income tax return.

Unfortunately NE is one of the few states that taxes remote workers if the company you remotely work for is located in NE.

Therefore, you will need to file both a NE nonresident state income return (to report your NE income while either working in NE or working remotely for an NE based company) and a VA resident state income tax return (to report all income from all sources including NE sourced income).

You will want to work on your NE nonresident state income tax return first. You will then take a tax credit from your NE nonresident state income taxes on your VA resident state income tax return. (Please note that you will only get a tax credit for your NE nonresident state income taxes up to the amount of VA resident state income taxes that would have been paid if the income was earned in VA).  The credit for taxes paid to another state section will be at the end of your residence state's interview process.

Just follow the TurboTax guide when working on your states (remembering to do your nonresident state return first) and TurboTax will do all the calculations and credits to your resident states return

Here is additional information about filing in multiple states (select "see more answer" to view the entire attachment)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300797

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DS30

It depends but if you either performed work in NE or worked remotely from VA for an NE based company, you will need to file both an NE nonresident state income tax return and a VA resident state income tax return.

Unfortunately NE is one of the few states that taxes remote workers if the company you remotely work for is located in NE.

Therefore, you will need to file both a NE nonresident state income return (to report your NE income while either working in NE or working remotely for an NE based company) and a VA resident state income tax return (to report all income from all sources including NE sourced income).

You will want to work on your NE nonresident state income tax return first. You will then take a tax credit from your NE nonresident state income taxes on your VA resident state income tax return. (Please note that you will only get a tax credit for your NE nonresident state income taxes up to the amount of VA resident state income taxes that would have been paid if the income was earned in VA).  The credit for taxes paid to another state section will be at the end of your residence state's interview process.

Just follow the TurboTax guide when working on your states (remembering to do your nonresident state return first) and TurboTax will do all the calculations and credits to your resident states return

Here is additional information about filing in multiple states (select "see more answer" to view the entire attachment)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300797

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies