Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work in NV, but travel for work. There are states that impose income tax on nonrsdnts after state-specific threshold is reached. What are the thresholds for NY and CT?

My employer is taking out taxes for states I travel to, but I don't think they should be as I don't think I am in those other states often enough to trigger the thresholds, but I don't know what the thresholds are.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I work in NV, but travel for work. There are states that impose income tax on nonrsdnts after state-specific threshold is reached. What are the thresholds for NY and CT?

do you perform work while present in those states?

CT

Gross Income Test
You must file a Connecticut income tax return if your gross income
for the 2020 taxable year exceeds:
• $12,000 and you are married filing separately;
• $15,000 and you are filing single;
• $19,000 and you are filing head of household; or
• $24,000 and you are married filing jointly or qualifying widow(er).

if you work only 1 hour in CT during the year,  are single, and are paid $12K for that 1 hour of work you have to file a non-resident return.

NY

If you are a New York State nonresident you must file Form IT-203, Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return, if you meet any of the following conditions:

You are a nonresident with New York source income and your New York adjusted gross income Federal amount column (Form IT-203, line 31) exceeds your New York standard deduction.
You want to claim a refund of any New York State, New York City, or Yonkers income taxes withheld from your pay.
You want to claim any of the refundable or carryover credits available.
You had a net operating loss for New York State personal income tax purposes for the tax year, without having a similar net operating loss for federal income tax purposes.

Filing status Standard deduction amount
(1) Single (and can be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer's federal return) $3,100
(1) Single (and cannot be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer's federal return) $8,000
(2) Married filing joint return $16,050
(3) Married filing separate return $8,000
(4) Head of household (with qualifying person) $11,200
(5) Qualifying widow(er) $16,050

if you work only 1 hour in NY during the year,  are single, not a dependent, and are paid $8K for that 1 hour of work you have to file a non-resident return.

@Mike9241    @johnsmaxwell 

I'd modify that advice some....In my experience, many (most?) states with an income tax, will require a non-resident tax return based on Gross income.....i.e. including income earned out of state.....then tax based on the % earned in the non-resident state. CT in particular makes that clear in:

https://portal.ct.gov/DRS/Individuals/Individual-Tax-Page/Nonresidents-wCT-Source-Inc

"A nonresident or part-year resident meets the gross income test if his or her total income for the year, including income earned within and without Connecticut exceeds:

• $12,000 for married persons filing separately, or
  • $15,000 for single filers or
  • $19,000 for head of household, or
  • $24,000 for married persons filing jointly, or qualifying widow(er) with dependent child."

NY is similar......in the details of the NY instructions:

"... and your New York adjusted gross income Federal amount column (Form IT-203, line 31) exceeds your New York standard deduction.

Thus, it would not depend on the 1 hr being over the minimum, but annual gross income being over the limit, and also having "any" non-resident income in that state. 

I suspect the purpose in these states, is that the person earning anything in that state as a nonresident, but have (say) a million $$ of income from other states...they will still pay something of what they earned in-state as a nonresident......but if their total income from everywhere is below the limit...then they are in a tough spot and no tax will be assessed.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies