Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I reside in CA, working remotely. The corp is located in NJ. I travel to NJ 31 days/year, but lodge in NY. 1) what states shall I file? 2) How do I split my income?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

I reside in CA, working remotely. The corp is located in NJ. I travel to NJ 31 days/year, but lodge in NY. 1) what states shall I file? 2) How do I split my income?

Since you're a resident of CA, ALL your income is taxable by CA, regardless of where you earn it.

NJ can tax you as a non-resident on the portion of your income that you earned by physically working in New Jersey.  Therefore you must file in both those states.

CA will credit you for the taxes paid to NJ, so you won't be double-taxed.  In TT, complete the non-resident state NJ return before you do your home state return, so that the program can calculate and apply the credit.

If you did no work in New York, then you have no filing obligation there.

In the Personal Info section of TT, enter your State of Residence as CA; answer No to having lived in another state; indicate that you had Other State Income from NJ.  This will prompt he program to produce the correct forms.  

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

My W2 shows NJ and NY tax withholding , because the NJ corporation register my address as NY.

How do I get the NY withholding back? 

TomD8
Level 15

To receive a refund of the NY withholding, you'll have to file a non-resident NY tax return on which you show the withholding but allocate zero income to NY.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies