turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I neither made money or lived in IL for most of fiscal year 2020, but that is where my state of residence is considered do i still have to file in IL?

i am not technically a resident of the state i work in
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

I neither made money or lived in IL for most of fiscal year 2020, but that is where my state of residence is considered do i still have to file in IL?

We'd love to help you complete your tax return, but need more information. Can you please clarify your question?

Are you a student? Or in the military? Please explain why you think you may be an Illinois resident even if you never lived or worked there in 2020.

State residency is based on many factors. Some people think there are a resident of whatever state they have a driver's license or voter's registration card from. That's often not true. 

You are probably a resident of the state you work in, since that is where you presumably live and work, even if you haven't taken any steps to become a resident, but we would need more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi Ernie,

I am neither a student or military though I do work seasonally for the government. I would think I'm an IL resident due to my driver's license and voters registration. I don't have an address, license, or registration in the state i work

TomD8
Level 15

"I neither made money or lived in IL for most of fiscal year 2020"

In what state did you live most of the year?  In what state was your domicile - your main, primary home - located as of the end of 2020?  Did you change your domicile from one state to the other during 2020, or did your domicile remain in one state all year while you lived in another state for a temporary purpose (for example, to attend school)?  In what state or states did you physically work in 2020?

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

I lived and made all of my money in OR. My domicile remained in IL all of 2020

I worked and lived most of 2020 in OR. My domicile is still in IL as I do not have a domicile in OR. 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

It appears from the aggregate of your posts that you need to file a resident IL tax return and a non-resident OR tax return.  You will claim a tax credit on your IL return for taxes paid to OR.  You will be taxed on all income from all sources by IL.  You will be taxed on Oregon source income by OR.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies