turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oct 16 is the IRS deadline–file confidently with expert help. File Now
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I moved from NY to NJ and worked in NJ the entire year. It appears as if no NJ tax was ever taken out of my paycheck. I want to make sure I'm not double dipping.

This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Our digital assistant can help you.
1 Reply
New Member

I moved from NY to NJ and worked in NJ the entire year. It appears as if no NJ tax was ever taken out of my paycheck. I want to make sure I'm not double dipping.

If you moved during the year from NY to NJ but all income is NJ wages, this wage income will be considered NJ-source income and will be taxed in both NY and NJ (even for the time you were a part-year resident of NY).

Since you were a part-year resident of NY during 2016, you will need to file a part-year NY state income tax return to report earnings from all sources (including your NJ -source wages) for the part of the year that you were a resident of NY.

You will need to divide your wages based on the time in each state and report these amounts separately on your part-year resident state income tax returns of each state.

Additionally, since some of your income while a part-year resident of NY is considered NJ -source income, you will also need to report your NJ-source income (while you lived in NY) on your part-year NJ resident state income tax return.

It may seem like you are being double taxed on your NJ- source income by needing to include it on both your part-year NY and NJ state income tax returns but you will be able to claim a state tax credit on your NY part-year return for taxes paid on your NJ part-year state income tax return related to your NJ -source income earned while an NY part-year resident.

You will want to work on your NJ part-year resident return first so that you can determine the amount of state tax credit you will be able to take on your NY part-year state income tax return.

NY taxes all the income reported when calculating NY state income taxes (whether resident, part-year resident or nonresident) but you will only be required to paid a portion of the total NY state income taxes calculated (your percentage of the total NY tax that relates to your NY source income only)

Each state has a different ways of calculating state income taxes.

The way that the NY state income tax return works is that NY looks at all of your income from all sources and generates a total NY state income tax on all income. When NY is determining the actual NY state income taxes that you owe, NY multiples the total NY taxes on all income by the percentage of NY source income over all source income. So if all your income is $10,000 but NY source income is $8,000, NY will calculate the NY state income tax on $10,000 then multiply this total tax by your NY source income over total income ($8,000/$10,000) to get your percentage of NY state income taxes on your NY source income. So in this instance, your NY state income tax liability would be 80% of the total amount of NY taxes generated (on all income). That is why all your income is being reported on your NY state tax return.

You can preview your NY Tax summary to see what portion of the total taxes for NY you are actually paying.

To preview NY Tax Summary:

  • TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here
  • Under Tax Timeline, click on Take me to my return
  • Go to "My Account" > "Tools"
  • Under the Tools Center, select "view tax summary"
  • Select "NY Tax Summary"

Check below for more information about filing a part-year state tax return (Please select "see entire answer" to see full answer)


message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies