Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zoanie21

Witholding of Federal for one spouse vs other

My spouse and I earn about the same amount.  My federal withholding is double what was withheld from his paycheck.  He has 0 allowances and filing status for federal is Married, filing jointly.  He does have 401K contributions which are about 13% of his pay.  This year we have to pay a large amount back and most of this appears to be caused by how little is being withheld.  Could this be an error on the part of the employer or do we need to update his federal filing status so we aren't hit next year with having to pay so much money back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you need to update your W-4 with the employer.  You can choose to use Single since the incomes together are creating a higher tax bracket, or use the method below without changing any selections on your W-4 as it is right now.  You are allowed to change your W-4 as many times as you like during the year and your employer(s) must make the requested changes.

If you believe you will earn approximately the same amount then you can make an easy change to the W-4 for your spouse.

• Take the amount of the balance due on your 2023 tax return, divide it by the number of pay periods that remain in 2024 then enter that amount as an additional withholding on line 4c.

You can decide to increase it or decrease it but this amount will put  you very close to even for your 2024 tax return without having an excess amount of withholding.  It's important to note this amount will reduce your current net pay each pay period.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
zoanie21

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies