turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I earn out of state income, my spouse doesn't. Is it possible to remove her SSN from the out-of-state filing? NJ/NY situation, if relevant.

For some reason, my NYS IT-203 had her SSN (but not her name or DOB) filled in. I'd prefer not to include her SSN on the filing if it's not needed, since she doesn't have NYS income to report.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

I earn out of state income, my spouse doesn't. Is it possible to remove her SSN from the out-of-state filing? NJ/NY situation, if relevant.

If you are filing joint returns, then your spouse's SSN must be included on the return.

While you know that your wife doesn't have any NY-sourced income, the state of NY does not know that.  The only way NY can confirm she doesn't have any NY income is if they have her SSN to compare with the various tax documents they receive (e.g. W-2s, 1099s).

Yes, they will "see" any non-NY income she might have, but that is easily removed in the income allocation interview of the NY state return program.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

No. You cannot remove your spouse’s Social Security number when filing a married filing separate Nonresident or Part-Year New York tax return (IT-203). Your federal return will show the same way (if you are filing a separate federal return).

Both the federal and state need to keep track of your other half in case some items need to be matched up or compared between the two returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

We aren't filling separately; also, my spouse does not have a tax relationship of any sort (income, deductions, or otherwise) with the state in question (NY).

I ask because this feels like a bug in the software; again, my spouse's name and DOB are not populated on the state form.

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

If you are filing joint returns, then your spouse's SSN must be included on the return.

While you know that your wife doesn't have any NY-sourced income, the state of NY does not know that.  The only way NY can confirm she doesn't have any NY income is if they have her SSN to compare with the various tax documents they receive (e.g. W-2s, 1099s).

Yes, they will "see" any non-NY income she might have, but that is easily removed in the income allocation interview of the NY state return program.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies