Expert Alumni

State tax filing

No. You cannot remove your spouse’s Social Security number when filing a married filing separate Nonresident or Part-Year New York tax return (IT-203). Your federal return will show the same way (if you are filing a separate federal return).

Both the federal and state need to keep track of your other half in case some items need to be matched up or compared between the two returns.