Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I don't know which state exempt- interest dividends are from. Says to click more than one state button, then asked to list. How do I move on?

I'm ok with the dividend amount appearing on the state return.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

I don't know which state exempt- interest dividends are from. Says to click more than one state button, then asked to list. How do I move on?

For details on how to enter, see: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/discussion/re-exempt-interest-dividends-are-entered-fr...

Most particularly, see the screen shot at that link.  If you don't care about paying state tax on the (usually) small  portion attributable to your state, click only "More than one state". 

You get the breakdown by state from your mutual fund company. It is not shown on the 1099-INT or 1099-DIV.  If they did not provide a breakdown, you check the box “I earned tax exempt dividends in more than one state” ("Multiple States" in the  online program) on the first screen after entering the 1099-INT or 1099-DIV. Then select  "More than one state" ("Multiple States" in the  online program) at the bottom of the state  scroll down list.

@cherylschuette 

Here's another picture...

IF you are not interested in breaking down the individual amount form your own state...you choose "Multiple States" in the very top box (That selection is at the END of the pulldown list of states). 

The selection that shows several boxes is only used if you decide to divide things up.

1099-DIV_TaxExempt_State_Online_1.png

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies