Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jman12750
Returning Member

How to efile New York married filing separately when efiled federal married filing jointly

I efiled my federal return married filing jointly and it was accepted. I did a dummy federal return as married filing separately so I could prepare a New York return married filing separately. However, Turbo Tax won't let me efile the New York return for reasons unclear to me as I have done this for several years. Turbo Tax also says NY requires an efiling if the return was prepared by a commercial software program. Can anyone offer any solutions?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

How to efile New York married filing separately when efiled federal married filing jointly

Mail your married filing separate New York return. You will not be able to file this return in TurboTax because it does not match your federal married filing jointly return.

We suggest sending it by certified mail with proof of delivery so you know it’s been received by New York.

New York uses federal income so it will not accept a separate state return without a matching federal return. Your federal return is a “mock return” not meant to be filed with anyone. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Your situation is an exemption to the efiling mandate ... print, ink sign and mail in the return.

jman12750
Returning Member

How come for several years I could efile the New York return (married filing separately) through Turbo Tax generated from a dummy federal return after previously separately efiling in a different return my federal return (married filing jointly) but not this year? Has something changed?

mlex
Returning Member

I am having the same issue with new york and california. Do i need to send a copy of my federal taxes married filing jointly with my married filing single ny state return? Or should I just send the state taxes by themselves?

I already submitted my federal taxes. Thanks

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

No.  According to NY IT form 203 instructions a copy of your federal return is not required to be mailed in.

mlex
Returning Member

how about for california?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you will need to attach your federal return that was filed jointly with your California return that is being filed separately.

Please see this link for more instructions regarding mailing your California return to the Franchise Tax Board.

@mlex 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies