turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Help! I don't know what to enter for Locality Group (1,2 or 3) This was flagged by Turbotax on a review of my state sales tax deduction.

Correspond your locality of 1, 2, or 3 to match what is listed of A, B, or C, respectively. Thus, A corresponds to 1 and B corresponds to 2. See  page 18 of the Form 1040 Schedule A instructions which lists localities by state.

You can use the IRS Sales Tax Assistant as confirmation. Here is the chart from page 18 for TY2021.

@fayezezoff It looks like your A if Madison imposes a local tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Andersos19
Returning Member

Help! I don't know what to enter for Locality Group (1,2 or 3) This was flagged by Turbotax on a review of my state sales tax deduction.

I live in lake county in illinois

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Please see the chart posted right above your comment. I can't tell you since I don't know if you have local taxes imposed.

@Andersos19

Andersos19
Returning Member

👍👍

emaajid

Illinois

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

For Illinois, it would depend on your locality.

Please see the chart provided above by AmyC to see which Local Table you would use.

See Page A-18 in 2021 Instructions for Schedule A - Itemized Deductions for more information.

@emaajid

I am looking for the answer - not more iterations of the same question.

SeniorChief 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

It depends on your state.  Here is a table from the IRS 1040 Instructions.  A corresponds to 1 and B to 2 and C to 3. 

glacal

I live in Illinois

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Looking at the chart I posted earlier, I see there are 2 options for IL. Since I don't know where you live, please use 1 for A and 2 for B to determine your answer.

@glacal

I can not proceed with my return until I select the locality code.  How do I know what that is?  I live in Illinois, Winnebago County, Roscoe

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Looking at the chart I posted earlier, I see there are 2 options for IL. Since I don't see Winnebago County listed, I googled to see if it imposes sales tax. My google search said yes, which means it does impose a local sales tax and would be a part of "any other" that impose sales tax, group A. If my google search was wrong, sorry!

@duainsworth

I have to choose from a option on this form 1 2 or 3 and I live in Georgia! It doesn't ask for a precentage just wants me to choose a b or c on the locality page before I can move on...

a is Dekalb County (excluding Atlanta)

b is Any other locality that imposes a local sales tax

c is Not applicable

Which one do I choose and this is the only options to chose from................

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

It depends. If you live in DeKalb, choose a. 

If you live in another locality that has a local sales tax, choose b. Georgia has a statewide sales tax rate of 4%. If your local rate is higher, then choose b. A local store receipt should show the tax rate. 

Choose c if you live in a county without an add-on local sales tax.

tomsterq

Thanks for your reply. It was the easiest for me to understand AND it worked.

I entered 6.25 for the state level earlier, and then just selected b) for "other..."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies