turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Help! I don't know what to enter for Locality Group (1,2 or 3) This was flagged by Turbotax on a review of my state sales tax deduction.

I'm in Biloxi, Mississippi, 39532.  I used the calculator but didn't get my Locality Group.  What should I do next?

nlinde

Help! I don't know what to enter for Locality Group (1,2 or 3) This was flagged by Turbotax on a review of my state sales tax deduction.

Where do I find my Locality Group Number? Not knowing this prevents me from e-filing.

Ray11B

What locality for Wheaton?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

What state are you in? @Ray11B

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Ray11B

Sorry, Winfield, Illinois

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

The locality number will depend on your specifics. For Winfield, Illinois, it appears to be Locality 1.

To find your Locality Group Number, see page 18 of the Form 1040 Schedule A instructions which lists localities by state.

Correspond your locality of 1, 2, or 3 to match what is listed of A, B, or C, respectively. For Illinois, it appears that A corresponds to 1 and B corresponds to 2. 

To confirm the amount, use the IRS Sales Tax Assistant to enter your particular details. The IRS Sales Tax Assistant page link provides an overview.

@Ray11B 

@taxquery1 

ih3bbvk914
Returning Member

What is Locality for Cook County, Chicago, IL 60611

Ray11B

I can't remember where is saw it; but the answer is " 1 "

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

If you live in Cook County, your locality group will be “Any other locality that imposes a local sales tax”

IL locality

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks!   I was going a little nuts as TT was computing a little less than what the IRS Sales Tax Assistance was coming up with.    My Village has a 3.5% local tax but the IRS is showing 4%    I finally caught it at the bottom where I saw my zip code is averaged in with other zip codes hence the higher percent.     I left it at 3.5% in TT.   ($1095 me VS $1150 IRS) 

STax.jpg

rsven1301

Read above.   I live in Schaumburg Illinois , zipcode 60193. What locality group am I in?

Ray11B

The way I read the rule; Everybody is group 1 except Aurora. There was no explanation why.

I would say 'b' as 'a' is only for Aurora and I do not believe 'c' is even applicable.    

Illinois, Madison County, Edwardsville

Illinois, Madison County

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies