Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I file my M1PR with Turbo tax? I already filed my Fed And State Taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
ChrisJ

Form (M1PR) is filed separately from your Minnesota State Tax Return. The property tax refund is NOT included in the refund monitor shown top of the screen. The refund monitor at the top of the screen, with the words MN Refund or MN Tax Due above it, represents the Minnesota State Income Tax Return only. Form M1PR isn't due until August 15th. 

If you'd like to Print Form M1PR:

1. Sign in (or go here if you can't). Continue your/take me to my return or pick up where I left off 

NOTE
    : If you already filed your return, you won't see any of the above. Instead, go to your Tax Timeline and click Add a state beneath your return details (don't worry, we're not really adding a state). This will allow you back into the return.

2. Click on the State Taxes tab across the top.
  3. Continue to the Status of your state returns screen, then continue/edit/revisit the Minnesota state return (or begin and prepare if you've not already done so)
  4. Get to the Let's Check for Minnesota Nontaxable Income screen, then select Yes, I want to see if I qualify for these tax benefits.
  5. Click continue/done/no many times (unless you actually want to revisit/prepare another section) until you arrive at the Other Forms You May Need screen. Confirm the Property Tax Refund (Form M1PR) box is checked, then continue.
  6. Provide any information asked of you in order to generate the form. If you have a refund, you'll be asked about making state contributions and also direct deposit of the property tax refund. Answer, then continue.
  7. Click Print Form M1PR. This will generate a finalized version of the form. You'll mail it to the address provided on screen. (click image below for reference)
xristos39

My question is can you do it?  Am 83 years old and do not handle forms well. 

xristos39

Forget it!

@xristos39 Gosh---only one minute elapsed between your first post and when you exclaimed, "Forget it!"    It does often take longer than one minute to get a response in this user forum.   This is not live chat.   You post your question here and then you wait for someone who can help or who can answer your question to reply to you.  We are volunteers----not employees of TurboTax.

No one in the user forum has access to your tax return or your TurboTax account.   Unless you used one of the paid versions of the software that included live expert tax help, no one can prepare a form for you.   This is do-it-yourself tax software.   

If you used the software to prepare your 2021 federal and state of MN returns then you were supposed to work on the M1PR when you were in the state program.    But even if you prepare that form when you prepare the state return, you have to mail in the M1PR----it cannot be e-filed.   Did you already prepare you MN return?   Did you file it yet?

To obtain the refund, the taxpayer must have a CRP, Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP), for each rental unit lived in during the year. The taxpayer's landlord is required to deliver a completed CRP to the taxpayer no later than January 31st of each year.

You will need the CRP to determine your refund, if any, and you must include what is called a Form M1PR with the CRP when it is filed. These forms have to be printed and mailed in to:

Minnesota Property Tax Refund
St. Paul, MN 55145-0020

TurboTax will prepare the Form M1PR for you to print. Towards the end of the step-by-step interview for Minnesota you will reach the Other Forms You May Need screen. To have the M1PR prepared and made available for printing, make sure you check the Property Tax Refund (Form M1PR) check box on the Other Forms You May Need screen, then follow the prompts through the end of the interview.

https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/renters-property-tax-refund

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@xristos39 Someone from customer support may be able to help walk you through how to go back in to your MN return and prepare that M1PR if you used a paid version of the software.   Try contacting customer support to see if you can get some real-time help.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time daily

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You can also file your M1PR free of charge at the MN Dept. of Revenue Property Tax Refund site, and if you're a homeowner, you can e-file it through the MN DOR's Property Tax Refund Online Filing System.

Andinator

I'm having trouble finding where the "Print My M1PR" Form is. I've input all my CRP data in turbo tax and it has shown me my M1PR refund amount but I cant find any place to print my M1PR

@Andinator wrote:

I'm having trouble finding where the "Print My M1PR" Form is. I've input all my CRP data in turbo tax and it has shown me my M1PR refund amount but I cant find any place to print my M1PR

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the M1PR - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-forms/file-m1pr-minnesota-property-t...

hi,

any update on this?

i already efile federal and state and chose file later on the m1pr thinking that i can come back and  efile later after 3/15/23. which at the moment i couldnt efile until after that date. so i went ahead and efile federal n state.

1)i can get back into state follow the instruction above. but after clicking thru everything i dont see a button to print the m1pr to b mail

2)i do c the m1pr (2pages) in my state return pdf. the pdf that summarize my whole tax forms which includes the m1pr and crp.

it starts with - 2022 Form M1PR, Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners)
and Renter’s Property Tax Refund

is that the form i can print and send in along with my crp 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Your Minnesota return can be efiled, but you must print and mail your M1PR.

The article below is being revised to remove the statement that says you can e-file the M1PR, but the rest of the information is correct. If you don't see the print button, you can print it out from your pdf or your return.

Can I file my M1PR (Minnesota Property Tax Refund) through TurboTax?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

thank u CatinaT1

to print m1pr

follow instruction above to get into state.

theres a big button @ the very bottom of the main page that says "add a state"

tax tools left hand menu

print center

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies