Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dm0909

Filed for a CA extension and pre-paid - is there a way to deduct it in Turbotax before filing my return

Hello,

I pre-paid an estimate on my CA taxes before the April 2022 deadline. I was within the 90% requirement to avoid penalties. I just calculated my return and I am not sure how to incorporate the amount I pre-paid on the return.

Do I have to pay the amount again and wait for them to refund the amount I already pre-paid or am I able to deduct it directly in a field in Turbotax so I can avoid double paying the state taxes and waiting 3-6 weeks for a refund? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Filed for a CA extension and pre-paid - is there a way to deduct it in Turbotax before filing my return

To enter, change or delete a payment made with an extension request (Federal, State, Local) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Other Income Taxes, click on the start or update button

On the next screen select the type of extension payment made and click on the start or update button

Or enter federal extension payment in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to federal extension payment

If your extension payment did not automatically show up on CA 540 line 72 you need to enter it.

To enter the amount you paid with an extension (including state extension)  go to

Federal Taxes (or Personal for desktop H&B version)

Deductions and Credits

Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid

Other Income Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

Next page second section Payments with Extension

Either Visit All or Click Start or Update by the extension you paid

Pay attention to which year you are entering for a State Extension payment.  A prior year state extension payment is also deductible on the federal return so be sure to enter it here.

MAKE SURE TO ENTER IT UNDER THE RIGHT YEAR!

To get the amount paid on a state extension to show up on the state return……

When you are done updating your federal return, you need to transfer the new federal information by going back through the state tab and the state return. Nothing will change until you transfer the fed info to the state again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies