Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sc85381
Returning Member

File Colorado state income tax

I'm retired, moved to Colorado on July 14, 2023 from Nevada. No employment in CO, but collecting social security, Gov Pension, interest, etc.  

I finished my federal taxes and now being prompted to file states taxes - two States are listed: Nevada no state taxes required; Download Colorado.

Since I was not a resident for more than half year, do in need to file Colorado state taxes?

Thank you

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You would need to file a Colorado return if you had taxable income during the time you lived there. The income you mention could be taxable in Colorado, so the safe thing to do would be to prepare the return. You can read about Colorado filing requirements here:  Colorado tax filing requirements  From the article:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The half-year (or 183 days) business you sometimes see, refers to someone who moves in, and then moves out....but you've remained in CO, so you are over the half year already...and probably intend to remain....at least for awhile yet.

Even people who move into CO in December can be considered to be part year residents for that year, if they've moved their self, household goods, etc into CO and intend to remain for at least half a year.  

Exceptions...College students with parents in another state who claim them as a dependent....they can be there 9 mos, or even all year, and they are still considered nonresidents, and do not file in CO unless they actually work a job in CO during the year.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies