turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in OH, but need to allocate a portion of my wages to NY as a non-resident. Where are the step-by-step instructions to accomplish this?

Why won’t New York state form IT-203-B appear when I file as a non-resident?  I live in OH, but because of travel, I need to allocate a portion of my wages to NY.  This same situation existed in 2016.  As with last year, I completed the Federal return first, and then I began the NY non-resident return.  (Per TT’s instructions, I completed the NY non-resident state return before starting the OH state return.)  The problem is:  Last year, when working with TT, when asked if my spouse had New York state-only income to report, I clicked “No”, and TT immediately took me (I think) to my W2 summary, where I clicked on the “Edit” button and was able to allocate my wages based on Number of Days worked.  This info, in turn, populated the New York state tax form IT-203-B.  But this year, after answering the question about my spouse, TT asked if I had any New York state-only income to report.  When I clicked “No” (my wages aren’t New York state-only wages; they are split between OH and NY, but my W2 indicates only OH), I was directed to a non-W2 screen.  That’s not what my notes indicate occurred last year.  Alternatively, if I click “Yes”, TT asks me to enter my wages; instead of my W2 info appearing, TT wants me to enter my employer’s name and my wages (but no withholdings; definitely odd).  Bottom line:  I am unable to complete the NY non-resident return, I cannot find, let alone complete, NY state tax form IT-203-B (I need this form to allocate wages based on Number of Days worked), and, more importantly, it appear that my W2 wages have not been transferred to the NY return from my Federal return.  The NY withholdings have transferred over, but wages seem MIA.  Any suggestions? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I live in OH, but need to allocate a portion of my wages to NY as a non-resident. Where are the step-by-step instructions to accomplish this?

Yes.  When you select the NY nonresident return, make sure that you flag who has the NY income (yourself, your wife, or both).  Then you are asked about NY Allocations.  The next three screens have key entries to trigger the screen you are looking for to get the Allocation method (percentage of days worked).  Please note the screenshots along with the instructions:  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes.  When you select the NY nonresident return, make sure that you flag who has the NY income (yourself, your wife, or both).  Then you are asked about NY Allocations.  The next three screens have key entries to trigger the screen you are looking for to get the Allocation method (percentage of days worked).  Please note the screenshots along with the instructions:  

Do I need to enter the W2 wages (Box 12 from my W2)?  Or does TT transfer that info in automatically from the Federal return?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Box 12 is not wages, but rather items such as your insurance, 401K, etc.  Your state wages are located in box 16, and state tax withholdings are in box 17.  Look for the corresponding state titles (OH and NY).    If entered in correctly, the information should transfer to the state returns, but it is always possible that you may have to make a manual entry if your W-2 does not show.  For instance, if your W-2 does not have a NY line (box 15 with NY in it), then, in the NY return, you would have to manually enter all of the income reported to OH (or box 1 of the Federal return, what is reported to the IRS), and then use the allocation method in the screen above.  You'll get to the right result.

Thank you.  I typed Box 12 in error; I meant Box 1.  I now understand what I'm supposed to do.  Because my employer does not allocate my wages between NY and OH (it considers them it all OH), I'm to enter the amount listed for Wages in Box 1 of my W2, and then allocate that amount between OH and NY based on number of days worked.  I now believe my notes of what transpired last year are incorrect.  Thanks for your help.  I appreciate.  What also confused me was the two-part question:  Do XYZ have any New York Wages?  (That part made sense.)  Do you have any New York state-only wages to report?  (That part confused me:  my wages aren't New York state-ONLY, they're split.)  Now I know that TT does not import wages from a W2 unless the W2 specifically identifies them as NY, and, if said wages are not specifically identified, I should enter the amount listed in Box 1.  And I now know that the two-part question simply means, "Do you have any wages on your W2 you need to allocate to NY?"  Many thanks for both of yours help.  I appreciate it.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I'm glad we could get to the bottom of it!
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies