Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CT-1040 P3,4: CHET amount is too large

I know in CT the tax deductible limit for 529 contribution is $10000 for a couple. But we did contribute $32000 into 529 last year and use 529 to pay the college cost for my kid. The TurboTax review always stops at the form and complaint about the amount is too large. Should I just ignore it? Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
Anita01

Only he could set up an IRA for himself, and he would have to have his own earned income in order to make a contribution.

Thank you for your answer. After posing the question, I googled online and found the same answer. I tried to delete my question but failed. So I modified it to another question, then I found your answer. Thank you very much for your help.

Does he have any earned income to report?  You/he can only contribute to a IRA up to the amount of his earned income.  And then it only goes on his return.

Did you ever get an answer about your CHET contribution amounts? The answers posted here appear to be about IRAs and not the CHET 529 college savings plan (I assume your original q was about IRAs but I can't see it in the thread). I have a similar CHET issue and was wondering how you dealt with it. My wife and I contributed ~17K to CHET this year, so that's what we reported on form CT1040 p3,4, but Turbotax flags that as "CHET amount is too large." I realize the annual CT tax-deductible amount is 10K for joint filers, but it seems that the form is asking for the total amount you contributed, and I don't want to misrepresent that amount. Do you just report 10K? Confusing...

Bhanukbm

any answer for this ‘CHET amount is too large’ We contributed more than 10K ,the TurboTax keep suggesting to correct it. 

I am having same issue when reporting the CHET Contributions for CT State tax preparation.

CT allows maximum 10K deduction for CHET 529 but I contributed more.

I am using 2020 TurboTax Home and Business CD / Download

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Do not enter more than $10,000, regardless of the amount you actually contributed. There is a $10,000 tax deduction limit. See Connecticut Higher Education Trust - CT.gov.

@coolcarn1sam

@Bhanukbm

@ngjohnson52

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
robsibley
Returning Member

Amy, if you work for TurboTax you need to explain your answer and how taxpayers should handle excess/carryover  contributions (you need to keep track of them yourself, TT 2021 will not know you made them).  This section in the TT CT program is worse than confusing. It is basically incomprehensible (including the help dropdown) to users.  I am sure that you can't fix the problem but you can  at least explain what taxpayers should do and why.

Thanks

Robert

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies