Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a delay in Alabama for state refund ? ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Alabama DOR says it can take 8-12 weeks for a state refund.   However, we can tell you some things to check.

If you efiled the state return, use the tool below to be sure the state return was successfully efiled and accepted:

https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_status_lookup.jsp

If that confirms it was accepted, or if you mailed the state return, then the link below tells you how to check the status of an Alabama state refund. 

NOTE:   You can check the status of an Alabama refund without logging in there as long as you know the expected refund amount and have your Social Security number.  So you do NOT have to establish a username and password there.  Instead at the site, click the "Where's My Refund" link.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2896703-how-do-i-track-my-alabama-tax-refund

View solution in original post

23 Replies

Alabama DOR says it can take 8-12 weeks for a state refund.   However, we can tell you some things to check.

If you efiled the state return, use the tool below to be sure the state return was successfully efiled and accepted:

https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_status_lookup.jsp

If that confirms it was accepted, or if you mailed the state return, then the link below tells you how to check the status of an Alabama state refund. 

NOTE:   You can check the status of an Alabama refund without logging in there as long as you know the expected refund amount and have your Social Security number.  So you do NOT have to establish a username and password there.  Instead at the site, click the "Where's My Refund" link.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2896703-how-do-i-track-my-alabama-tax-refund

When did you file cause I'm wondering the same thing, I filed in February still saying it is being processed, no letter sent out or nothing. No offsets I've called multiple times. Any luck yet?

Same here. E-filing was accepted 2/23 so its been FIFTEEN weeks. When I check the status on their website it says "Your return has been received. Your wages and/or withholdings cannot be verified at this time. The review of your return will resume once your information has been received from your employer(s)." It's been the same message for the last 10 weeks. Neither I nor my employer has received a letter and if the IRS felt my earnings were verified and got my refund to me in 3 weeks, why is Alabama having a problem? Seems more like they are delaying refunds on purpose.

Have you spoken to a live person at the Alabama DOR?  If that was unproductive, see if Alabama has a state taxpayer advocate office you can contact for information or assistance.  Many states do.

I have spoken to a person and I get the same reply every time   "Your return is in review"

What can that mean  I am on SS.  I do have a part time job via computer to a firm in FL,  I have filed like this for the last 9 years and now I am under review????

I filed in March and yes still nothing nobody knows nothing
Lisabelhaiba
Returning Member

The wait is ridiculous!
It hasn’t been stopped for review! Mine is still pending from end of March and seems thousands are having this same issue with Alabama Revenue. Mine has been 19+ weeks and I have called three times over those weeks and last call was to my local Revenue office here in Huntsville Agent showed my file had not been flagged! I was not missing any correspondence from them. I was not needing to send in anything additional in fact said shows my case had not even been touched!! She said they were only on end of February cases knowing mine was received in March.... Then I made comment “so you are just behind” she responded yes!! Alabama should at least be honest and have a schedule they are going by. I realized she lied to me as well about other cases. I had coworkers who filed in March and expected a smaller refund and had already received theirs. How much longer do we have to wait? It’s almost a new season again! Posted 8-1-2019
Lisabelhaiba
Returning Member

The wait is ridiculous!
It hasn’t been stopped for review! Mine is still pending from end of March and seems thousands are having this same issue with Alabama Revenue. Mine has been 19+ weeks and I have called three times over those weeks and last call was to my local Revenue office here in Huntsville Agent showed my file had not been flagged! I was not missing any correspondence from them. I was not needing to send in anything additional in fact said shows my case had not even been touched!! She said they were only on end of February cases knowing mine was received in March.... Then I made comment “so you are just behind” she responded yes!! Alabama should at least be honest and have a schedule they are going by. I realized she lied to me as well about other cases. I had coworkers who filed in March and expected a smaller refund and had already received theirs. How much longer do we have to wait? It’s almost a new season again! Posted 8-1-2019
Lisabelhaiba
Returning Member

My message has been same since day one filed......

Your return has been received and it is being processed. The processing time varies for each return.
You should receive your refund 8 to 12 weeks from today provided you do not owe any taxes for prior years or other state agencies.

Fast forward to 17+ weeks later.....
pcn

Mine was accepted by both federal and state mid March, so I called today and was told it was flagged for "a review of my expenses".  No notifications were sent, the generic message on the site is still promising "8-12 weeks from today".  My return has not even been assigned to anyone yet, just "waiting for review".  They said if it was processed today, it would still take 2-3 weeks to receive the refund.  I received my federal refund in a week after submitting it.  The Alabama Department of Revenue  is absolutely ridiculous.

You might think about changing your state tax withholding so that you do not have to go through this again next year.  But AL does pay interest on late refunds.

Mine was just deposited at slightly over 26 weeks. There appears to be an additional $4.93, which I am assuming is required interest, but I can't find info on when they are required to start paying interest or what the rate is, and whether it's a monthly rate/number of days past deadline. I did nothing different this year than in years past. I think that AL runs out of money and has to stretch it all out. 

Can’t get anyone on the phone, it’s impossible, I filed March 10 , finally got a letter in the mail, middle of August, selected for review, now I can’t, get anyone on the phone again, what is a person supposed to do, this is totally ridiculous, is there any help at all for a hard working tax paying citizen?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies