Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jeff E

I received a 1099-G from California for a refund. The refund was for 2014 and filing in 2016. How and where to I input this information?

I filed for a refund for tax year 2014.  I received it and received a 1099-G to be filed with 2016 return.  How do I file 2014 refund in 2016?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

I received a 1099-G from California for a refund. The refund was for 2014 and filing in 2016. How and where to I input this information?

You would enter it under the 1099-G section.  

Type the words 1099-g in the Find window on the upper right.  You'll see a selection of different 1099-G forms.  

Select the one for state and local tax refund, hit enter, then click on the Jump to that appears below.

You can also simply click on the Federal Taxes tab, Wages and Income right below.  

Select Choose What I Work On if you see it.  

If not, just scroll down to 1099-MISC and Other Common Income

and Start or Update the 1099-g state and local income tax topic.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Anita01

You would enter it under the 1099-G section.  

Type the words 1099-g in the Find window on the upper right.  You'll see a selection of different 1099-G forms.  

Select the one for state and local tax refund, hit enter, then click on the Jump to that appears below.

You can also simply click on the Federal Taxes tab, Wages and Income right below.  

Select Choose What I Work On if you see it.  

If not, just scroll down to 1099-MISC and Other Common Income

and Start or Update the 1099-g state and local income tax topic.

TerryA
Intuit Alumni

This could be an issue with FTB's slow processing of 2014 returns. Some timely filed 2014 Calif returns were not processed until January 2016 so the FTB issued 2016 1099-Gs for those.

If your 2014 Calif refund was already reported on your federal 2015 return (1040 line 10, because your 2015 tax software put it there for you) then you should do one of two things, depending on what was done with your 2014 Calif tax refund:

• If the refund was sent to you then you still have to report the 2016 1099-G on your 2016 federal return, but you should amend your 2015 federal return to remove the Taxable refunds of state income taxes for that amount, or
  • If you applied your 2014 Calif refund to 2015 estimated taxes then you should contact the FTB at (800) 852-5711 and request that your 2016 1099-G be manually corrected to report payment in 2015. No 2015 Calif amended return is necessary in that case and the FTB will report that correction to the IRS so that it won't expect to see the refund $$ on your 2016 federal return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies