Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On a 1099-R Distribution on a 401K has an X between box 7 and box 8. Turbo asked if it is blank. There is an X. On the pull down, no X. Do I say it is blank?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

On a 1099-R Distribution on a 401K has an X between box 7 and box 8. Turbo asked if it is blank. There is an X. On the pull down, no X. Do I say it is blank?

The X between boxes 7 and 8 is not the box 7 code.  The box 7 code is a letter (other than X) or an number, or a combination of two letters/numbers.  When the box 7 code is 7, some people get confused and do not recognized that 7 is the code.  Code 7 means that the distribution was made after reaching age 59½.

An X on the Form 1099-R between boxes 7 and 8 indicates that the distribution is from a type of traditional IRA, not from a 401(k).  If the box is marked on the Form 1099-R that you received from the payer, mark the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box on TurboTax's form. 

If you believe that the account is a 401(k), contact the account custodian for an explanation.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

The program form has a checkbox for indicating that the distribution reported on this Form 1099-R is from an IRA/SIMPLE/SEP retirement account.  The checkbox is not associated with the dropdowns for box 7.

Does your Form 1099-R have that IRA/SIMPLE/SEP box checked?
dmertz
Level 15

The X between boxes 7 and 8 is not the box 7 code.  The box 7 code is a letter (other than X) or an number, or a combination of two letters/numbers.  When the box 7 code is 7, some people get confused and do not recognized that 7 is the code.  Code 7 means that the distribution was made after reaching age 59½.

An X on the Form 1099-R between boxes 7 and 8 indicates that the distribution is from a type of traditional IRA, not from a 401(k).  If the box is marked on the Form 1099-R that you received from the payer, mark the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box on TurboTax's form. 

If you believe that the account is a 401(k), contact the account custodian for an explanation.

Will this help?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies