turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MI63

Why am I not able to file my taxes? Form 1099-NEC "A link to Schedule C or another form is something we need to get your info in the right place...

Here's what to do:  Go to "Federal" and then "Income and Expenses"  Make sure to complete all of the info in the area.  I completed everything and still unable to submit my taxes for filing
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

35 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Why am I not able to file my taxes? Form 1099-NEC "A link to Schedule C or another form is something we need to get your info in the right place...

The issue has been submitted and is currently under investigation.  Please click on the following link and sign up for an email notification when it's fixed.  

Why am I not able to link my 1099-NEC

Thank You for your patience

Beginning with the 2020 tax year, the IRS will require business taxpayers to report nonemployee compensation on the new Form 1099-NEC instead of on Form 1099-MISC. Businesses will need to use this form if they made payments totaling $600 or more to a nonemployee, such as an independent contractor.  This was done to help clarify the separate filing deadlines on Form 1099-MISC and the new 1099-NEC form will be used starting with the 2020 tax year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This issue needs to be fixed asap. The money I paid for TURBO Tax has already been charged to my credit card and I cannot file because of this issue Turbo Tax is having with Schedule C. I want to get this filed.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You can review the information below for possible steps to solve the issue.  

Income reported on Form 1099-NEC must be reported on Schedule C, the program is trying to link these two forms together to be sure that it is reported correctly and on the right form.

Revisit the section where you entered the Form 1099-NEC if you entered it on its own and delete that entry, by following these steps:

1. Open TurboTax.
  2. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner).
  3. Type in “1099-NEC” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find),
  4. Click on “Jump to 1099-NEC”
  5. Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-NEC” link

This will bring you a summary of all Form 1099-NEC that you have entered.  Click Delete or the trash can icon next to each one.

Next, you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC as part of the Schedule C so that the income is reported directly as part of your Business Income and Expenses and within the correct form and section of your return.

Follow these steps to go to the Schedule C section of your return:

1. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner).
  2. Type in “schedule c” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find).
  3. Click on “Jump to schedule c”.
  4. Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link

If you already have created a Schedule C in your return, click on edit and go to the section to Add Income.  This is where you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC. 

If you do not already have a Schedule C in your return, follow the prompts and enter the information about your work/business for which you received the Form 1099-NEC.  Then continue through that section to Add Income and enter the Form 1099-NEC along with any additional income you received for that business.  

Once you have completed this, the error should be eliminated. 

@estalena @Estalena i had this same problem here is what you do. Go to search bar inside return and enter 1099nec. It will pull up and then click jump to 1099nec. Delete it. Then go back to that same search bar and search schedule c. Jump to schedule c. Once you get into schedule c you will see a place for income. Click that and it will give you an option to choose the 1099nec. You  will then fill it out as normal. That should fix your problem as it fixed it for me immediately.  Hope this helps

Thank you for the information it worked and I was able to file return.

This isn't solving my issue, i still cant file. I have deleted and reentered 6 times already and I'm still not able to file my taxes. and when i try to look at the article i get access denied. this is driving me crazy.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Once you input your 1099-NEC, you must answer all of the questions after the input screen so it flows through to your Schedule C. If it has not been assigned, TurboTax will give you an error message. 

To assign your 1099-NEC to a Schedule C, please follow the steps below: 

1. Open your return.
  2. Search for 1099-NEC with the magnifying glass tool at the top of the page.
  3. Click on the Jump to 1099-NEC link at the top of the search results. 
  4. Click Edit next to your 1099-NEC.
  5. On the page titled Guess what? You can deduct expenses for the example work choose Yes, I have expenses to deduct.
  6. On the page titled Self-employed 1099-NEC Income select the Schedule C you are inputting this income for. If this is a new Schedule C for this year, you can add a new business on this screen.

@migibbons

As a said before, I have deleted and reentered everything multiple times and answered all questions and it is still not working. I'm unable to move forward with my taxes.

Where is the guess what? located, I'm not seeing it regarding being able to complete schedule C interview

Haven't come across a page entitled guess what?

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If the above instructions did not successfully link your 1099-NEC with your Schedule C, you can directly add your 1099-NEC on the Schedule C screens.

Please follow these steps in TurboTax:

1. Open your return.
  2. Search schedule c with the magnifying glass tool on the top of the page.
  3. Go to the Jump to schedule c link in the search results. 
  4. Click on Review if you already have a Schedule C on your return or Add a line of work if you do not have a Schedule C yet. 
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to describe the income received from the 1099-NEC.
  6. Click Looks good at the bottom of the summary screen.
  7. Click Form 1099-NEC under Common Income for the page titled Let's enter the income for your work. I have attached a picture below of this screen for additional guidance.
  8. Enter the data from your 1099-NEC.
  9. Follow the on-screen instructions.

If done this way, you will have to go back to the 1099-NEC entry inputted and delete it with the trash can icon so it is not on your tax return twice. 

@migibbons

@mikequetill

This doesn't help. Same issue.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

If double-clicking the box that shows Schedule C does not work, then your return may not have a Schedule C included yet.  There is not something you can type in that box to fix the problem, you have to enter a Schedule C.  

Income reported on Form 1099-NEC is not reportable directly on your tax return.  Just entering the information on that form is only one step.  Since it is self-employment or 'non-employee compensation' it must be associated with a Schedule C, even if there are no expenses being claimed. 

The information required for the Schedule C will include the type of business, the business name (or your name if there is no specific business name), the business address (or your address), etc.

Since income reported on Form 1099-NEC needs to be reported on Schedule C, the program is trying to tie these two forms together to be sure that it is reported correctly and on the right form.

Try going back to the section where you entered the Form 1099-NEC if you entered it on its own and delete that entry.  Use these steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “1099-NEC” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to 1099-NEC
  • Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-NEC” link

This will bring you to the summary of all Form 1099-NEC that you have entered.  Click Delete or the trash can icon next to each one.

Next, you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC as part of the Schedule C so that the income is reported directly as part of your Business Income and Expenses and within the correct form and section of your return.

Use these steps to go to the Schedule C section of your return.  

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “schedule c” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to schedule c
  • Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link

If you already have a Schedule C in your return, edit it and go to the section to Add Income.  This is where you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC. 

If you do not already have a Schedule C in your return, follow the prompts and enter the information about your work/business for which you received the Form 1099-NEC.  Then continue through that section to Add Income and enter the Form 1099-NEC plus any other income you received for that self-employed business.  

Don't forget you can also claim expenses related to your business.

After you are finished, the error condition should be eliminated. 

@Nfinished

eosborn

When I get to the page described "add expenses" I do not get an option to jump to schedule C.  The 2 boxes I have are "no I don't have any expenses" or "upgrade to self-employed."  i have no expenses for my education consulting.  When I choose the " I don't have expenses" I end up in the eternal loop that is looking for the Schedule C.  HELP.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies