Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why am I not able to file my taxes? Form 1099-NEC "A link to Schedule C or another form is something we need to get your info in the right place...

What did you do to find this: 

ry_guy7
Returning Member

Why am I not able to file my taxes? Form 1099-NEC "A link to Schedule C or another form is something we need to get your info in the right place...

@Driddlespriger  THANK YOU!!!

David
Returning Member

How do I ask a question?  I have a 1099-NEC for a law suit settlement.  The answer in this article does not apply

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

According to ErnieS0 in his awesome Turbo Tax post this is how to post.

To exempt your 1099-NEC from self-employment tax:

• Type 1099-NEC is Search in the upper right
  • Click Jump to 1099-nec
  • Say Yes to Did you get a 1099-NEC?
  • Select Add a 1099-NEC on Do You Want to Enter Your 1099-NECs Now?
  • Enter your information. Continue.
  • Fill in why you received the 1099-NEC in Describe the reason for this 1099-NEC. Continue.
  • Select None of these apply to me on Does one of these uncommon situations apply?
  • Select I don’t have expenses related to this income on Guess what? You can deduct expenses

Selecting expenses will generate self-employment tax.

@David 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
David
Returning Member

DaveF1006,

Thanks for the reply!  However... 

1. Selecting None of these apply to me is not accurate because this IS a settlement from a lawsuit.

2. If I do select None of these apply to me I do not get the Guess What? You can deduct expenses so I never see the option to select  I don’t have expenses related to this income

PattiF
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax Online: 

• Describe the reason for this 1099-NEC. Enter Lawsuit settlement in the box, Continue
  • Does one of these uncommon situations apply? Click on the circle for the third line This was money from a lawsuit settlement 
  • Answer yes or no Was any part of the lawsuit settlement for back wages? and Continue
  • Continue with the interview and answer the questions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies