turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What form for in-plan 401(k) Roth conversion "income"?

In December 2018 I made an in-plan conversion of funds within my 401(k) plan,  from original non-Roth to Roth.  Just as with a Traditional to Roth IRA conversion, I know the money converted will be taxed as ordinary income.

But, I can't figure out where to report it in TurboTax.  I can't even find a web reference stating which IRS form to use.  It's most likely Form 8606, Lines 16 and 18.  But all the text there is specific to IRAs, with no mention of 401(k)s, which concerns me.

Form 8606 takes me to creating a Form 1099-R, since the financial institution hasn't sent one.  There I entered the $$ in Box 1 Gross Distribution and in Box 2a as the Taxable Amount.  In Box 7 I selected '7' for the 1st code (normal IRA distribution), and left the 2nd code blank.  This resulted in Box B4 showing the conversion $$ amount, and I checked the box under that.

On Form 1040, the conversion $$ amount appeared in Line 4b as I think it should.

Does anyone actually know - as opposed to guessing like me - the correct place / codes etc?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

If the In-plan Roth Rollover occurred in 2018, your 401(k) plan is required to have issued to you a 2018 Form 1099-R reporting this.  It must have code G in box 7.

If you don't have the Form 1099-R from the plan, contact them to obtain the missing form.  Don't try to complete the 1099-R entry without it.  (If you haven't received the Form 1099-R, it might be because the transaction did not occur until 2019, in which case it's 2019 income, not 2018 income.)

View solution in original post

27 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

If the In-plan Roth Rollover occurred in 2018, your 401(k) plan is required to have issued to you a 2018 Form 1099-R reporting this.  It must have code G in box 7.

If you don't have the Form 1099-R from the plan, contact them to obtain the missing form.  Don't try to complete the 1099-R entry without it.  (If you haven't received the Form 1099-R, it might be because the transaction did not occur until 2019, in which case it's 2019 income, not 2018 income.)

Helpful!  Thank you!

Your answer is regarding In-Plan Roth Rollover, and the question was about In-Plan Roth Conversion.  Are these the same thing, just different terminology?  I am used to conversion meaning "to Roth" and rollover meaning "traditional to traditional or roth to roth."  If so, what do you do if your incompetent 401k administrator refuses to give you a 1099R and you need to file?  I don't see a "substitute form 1099R" box to check.

@qofmiwokA in plan Traditional 401(k) to 401(k) Roth rollover *is* a conversion.

They do not have an option to not issue a 1099-R  - that is required by law by January 31 following the year of the rollover/conversion.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

In the language of the tax code, the term "conversion" is only used for moving money from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA.  Any movement from a traditional account in a qualified retirement plan like a 401(k) to a Roth account, either in-plan or to a Roth IRA, is a technically a rollover, not a conversion.  The result is essentially the same, but the legal jargon differs.

Because the result is essentially the same, TurboTax tends to refer to any of these types of movement of funds from a traditional account to a Roth account as a "conversion" even though that is technically a misuse of the term in the case were the distributing account is a traditional account in a qualified retirement plan.  In answers that I provide, I try to used the correct legal terminology rather than common misusage, except in cases where I'm referring to specific text in TurboTax.

Any movement of funds from the any account in the 401(k), including an In-Plan Roth Rollover, constitutes a reportable distribution for which the plan is required to issue a Form 1099-R for the year in which the distribution occurs.  The "I need to prepare a substitute 1099-R" box is on the page where you identify the type of 1099-R you are entering.

I understand.  But what if you can't get them to do it?  How many hours are you required to spend trying to make it happen?

dmertz
Level 15

There is no set amount of time.  The IRS frowns on entities failing to generate required Forms 1099 and W-2, so contacting the IRS as indicated in Tax Topic 154 might result in the IRS contacting the plan:

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc154

Otherwise, submit the substitute Form 1099-R (Form 4852) on which you are asked to describe your efforts to obtain the required form.  I believe submitting the substitute form precludes e-filing, so you'll have to mail your tax return. 

Thank you!

ari444
Returning Member

I have the same exact problem, and I don't know what codes I need to use when converting a portion of 401k to Roth 401k (Not IRA!).  Which codes did you end up using?

Thanks! 

After about 50 phone calls and messages, I finally got my 1099R.  But I can't believe this, I was just looking at it to tell you the boxes, and it's wrong!  The amount of the conversion goes in Box 1.  But they put a letter G in my Box 7 and checked the IRA/SEP/Simple next to it.  So I'm back to the drawing board!  And sorry, I don't know exactly what it should look like.

ari444
Returning Member

I know all of my rollover is taxable as income, but when I use code G, Turbotax tells me I don't owe anything which is wrong.  I don't have any IRA/SEP/Simple accounts!  

My bank refuses to send me a 1099-R for 2018 even though the rollover was done on Dec. 28 2018.  

@ari444 If this was a direct 401(k) to Roth IRA rollover/conversion and you never say the money then the 1099-R should have a code G in box 7, the amount of rollover in box 1 and 2a unless the 401(k) contained after-tax money that is not taxable, then that would be in box 5 which reduces the box 2a amount by the box 5 amount.  The IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box is never checked for a 401(k).

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

OK, from the IRS instructions for 1099R: "For a direct rollover of a distribution from a section 401(k) plan, a  section 403(b) plan, or a governmental section 457(b) plan to a designated Roth account in the same plan, enter the amount rolled over in box 1, the taxable amount in box 2a, and any basis recovery amount in box 5. Use Code G in box 7."  There is no way eTrade will turn mine around in 2 weeks so I guess I'll be doing a substitute one also.

@ari444 wrote:

My bank refuses to send me a 1099-R for 2018 even though the rollover was done on Dec. 28 2018.  

What was done on Dec. 28, 2018?    Is that when you deposited the check form the 401(k) plan made out to your IRA in the bank or is that when you instructed the 401(k) plan trustee to make the transfer to the bank?

Your bank does not send the 1099-R that is sent by the 401(k) plan trustee.  

If you took the rollover distribution form the 401(k) in 2018 then you should have received a 1099-R form from the 401(k) plan trustee no later then Jan 31, 2019.  If you did not receive it then contact the 401(k) plan trustee.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies